What cars do people own then? And why is it "classic" to you

What cars do people on here drive the? And do you consider them classics? And if not the "typical" idea of classic, why do you feel it is?

OK, I'll start:

Car?: 1989 Skoda Rapid 136 - slightly modified (tinted windows, suspension lowered 30mm).

Classic?: Only 18 years old but many of these have gone to the scrappers, numbers are dwindling, you can go months without seeing one, so yes, I think it qualifies as a "modern classic"

Car?: 1994 Skoda Favorit GLXiE

Classic?: Not at all - only to me, being the last "proper" pre-VW influence Skoda. Wouldn't call it classic at all, but because of the "disposability" they will probably disappear - the MKI verasions are getting hard to find already!

Not exactly a car but a vehicle!

Vehicle !! 1982 Vw T25 Camper Needing work not being used at all this year only to keep her turning over..

Classic !! It`s 25+ years so got to be a bit of a classic.... My reason for owning can`t afford a split screen/always wanted a VW camper! Why I`ll never Know.

Got another 14 year old car laid up but it`s nothing special yet, but miles are low so while ever it`s got storage space I`ll keep it.One day it might become collectable.

Car: 1984 Mk1 Sierra XR4i

Classic: Definately. These cars were a disaster for Ford in the 1980's. They never had a market. The 2.8 V6 engine was a gas guzzler which during an oil crisis wasnt a good car to own. The target market was none existant and then they brought out the cosworth which wiped out any remaining interest in the XR4i. Finding a good one is a challange nowadays. Even the XR4 register dont have a decent one between them. The handling is fantastic in the dry but oh my god scarey in the wet and the power is just one continual stream of fun.

Car: 1980 Mk1 Fiesta L

Classic: Of course. Everyone has had some experience of a Mk1 fiesta be it their mother, grandmother, auntie or uncle. These cars were never made to stand the test of time. They are small, cramped not that comfortable to drive but god are they a laugh. Nothing goes round a corner quite like a MK1 Fiesta at full revs. They always pull in the crowds at car shows and everyone goes ahhhh. Not everyones idea of a classic but i love our little MK1.

1994 mkiv Toyota Supra RZ (twin turbo)

Why: Totally re-wrote the rule book on performance GT cars and brought Japanse cars in particular to the forefront of that particular car type. Still unrivalled today in many aspects (power, handling, looks) and certainly not giving away its age (internally or on the exterior) except via the reg. In the tuning world there is little to match the affordability or possibilities so it lives on creating a bigger and better name for itself (and breaking world records such e.g. at the drag strip) and also competing in several guises in the Jap GT car championships.

Oh, and they always get stared at wherever they can be found (still a very rare sight - although there are more imports in the country now than there were UK cars, there were only 610 UK cars sold in 4 years). They have a massive following and at the core of that following a very dedicated owners club (which, I might add, is full of fantastic individuals :)).

Finally - it must be a classic, as my insurance keeps going down ;)

1992 Rover Maestro Police Car (Restoration Project) - It is unique as far as any one is aware, all the others have been scrapped, it is also my first car.

1989 MG Maestro Tickford Turbo - Only 505 ever made, and only around 150 now left. Advertising campaign at the time was "Faster than a Ferrari"

1993 Rover 220 GTi Turbo - Very quick, only about 500 ever sold in this spec, rumoured to be around 100 left.

1992 Rover Maestro Campervan - Probably about 20 in the UK.

1999 Rover Maestro Van - They stopped selling Maestro Vans in 1995 so it is a rare sight to see one on this plate

1994 mkiv Toyota Supra RZ (twin turbo)

Finally - it must be a calssic, as my insurance keeps gong down ;)

I have to admit to going goggle-eyed at Supras still and the last one I drove was a MkII! Absolutely beautiful cars and superbly engineered too.

As for me I'm in 'future classic' territory owning a minter 99 Jaguar XK8 (strictly for weekends and JEC shows) and a de-chromed S-type SE Sport as my everyday car.

If I ruled the world I'd just live in Beaulieu NMM! :)

1983 merc 280e,silver,lots of chrome,goes like the clappers,like most people i wash and polish it then dont go anywhere in it.

my other boring car is a trooper,which i work out of i call it my tractor with air con.

if anyone goes through kiveton park my merc is parked on the road near the saxon pub.

i must use it this weekend now ive talked about it

1983 merc 280e,silver,lots of chrome,goes like the clappers,like most people i wash and polish it then dont go anywhere in it.

my other boring car is a trooper,which i work out of i call it my tractor with air con.

if anyone goes through kiveton park my merc is parked on the road near the saxon pub.

i must use it this weekend now ive talked about it

You know it upsets me when people have a classic and dont use it. The amount of people who turn up to classic car shows with their 'car' on a trailer is wrong. What is the point of owning it if you dont use it. We have one of the nicest XR4's in the country but it still gets used like any other car. We go camping in it shopping in it to the coast in it to work in it. We use it, like all of our cars it is used as a car.

I've got an '89 TVR 350i, commonly known as a 'Big Bad Wedge'.

It gets used all year round (topless of course).

The chassis gets cleaned on an annual basis, then rustproofed (if needed), painted and waxoyled.

I insure it on a Classic policy (£168 for the year isn't bad for a 145Mph, group 20 motor), that also includes UK and European breakdown cover.

It does get washed and polished more than my daily hack.

I consider it a classic, as it's a true British Sports car, big engine at the front, and RWD. The Club scene (TVRCC) is also excellent, with lots of local members and a great variety of cars ranging from early 70's examples to the very latest produced by the Blackpool (RIP) factory.

Driving it is an event, it needs 'babying' at times (especially in traffic jams in hot weather')

pb3.jpg

pb1.jpg

ref post from phylis,thanks for having a dig at me for not using my merc,i must say it is taxed ,tested and insured,it is parked on a main road.the reason i dont use it as much as i would love to is the fact that my arse is normaly sat in my trooper doing between 10/12hrs a day inc sat and sundays earning a living.when i get the time the first thing i do is go out in it,went to newcastle in it 3 weeks ago,went to cleethorpes in it 2 weeks ago and going to berwick in it next week.

would love too just have a drive round one night with some other people off here just to give her a run.oh and if i was going to show it i would drive it there and not use a trailer no point in having a car if you dont use it is there.

i do hope this as cleared things up with you

regards

neil

ref post from phylis,thanks for having a dig at me for not using my merc,i must say it is taxed ,tested and insured,it is parked on a main road.the reason i dont use it as much as i would love to is the fact that my arse is normaly sat in my trooper doing between 10/12hrs a day inc sat and sundays earning a living.when i get the time the first thing i do is go out in it,went to newcastle in it 3 weeks ago,went to cleethorpes in it 2 weeks ago and going to berwick in it next week.

would love too just have a drive round one night with some other people off here just to give her a run.oh and if i was going to show it i would drive it there and not use a trailer no point in having a car if you dont use it is there.

i do hope this as cleared things up with you

regards

neil

Wasnt aimed at you just people in general.

ok,maybe i was a bit touchy but like you i dont like people who have cars and dont use them,mine is my family car it does the tesco run ect ect.i class mine as a practical classic and is not in perfect condition but not far off.i like it for the reason that it is a car not a box full of plastic bits and its nice when people comment on it when we are out in it.