Anyone remember the Gatefield club

I would be interested to know if its still there,i went on my first proper date there,long long ago lol.

I don't think it's there anymore. The building may be there but I think the club closed long ago. I remember going there a few times in the 1960's and 1970's. In fact I played my first ever competetive billiards game there in the early 1970's. I was very nervous and I had loads of luck on the night and won quite easily. How times change, there is no longer any competetive billiards played in Sheffield anymore. Sad to say that the billiards league folded years ago.

I was a member 1971-76 - became a member of that particular club as my grandad was a member there. Still got the member's card - can I still get in????? - lol.

GatefieldSC.jpg

Leipzig

is ur name steven??

is ur name steven??

Not Steven

Leipzig

stephen??then

stephen??then

FlagsWAI.gif

Leipzig

Used to go as a school kid around 1979. My grandparents on my mother's side used to go there and in the summer holidays we'd sometimes call in and see them.

I recall the dartboard, vinyl chequered flooring, round tables and wooden chairs and flourescent lighting. The place closed some years since but I don't know what - if anything - has become of the building.

My grandparents also frequented the Byron and (now also no longer) Brincliffe Oaks.

Good times, indeed.

I think my father used to go to gatefield social club wat back in the 60's early 70's,i was born in 1971 (though you wouldn't know from my avater):hihi: & we lived at 28 gatefield rd but left around 74/75,our next door neighbor (my late dads best friend is called arthur).

The Gatefield closed down about 3 years ago it was bought by some building company who were going to knock it down and build flats even though part of it was listed. They did knock it down and start building but dont think any work has been done for a while.

My dad used to go there all the time. It's sad to think it's not there anymore.

My Mom and Dad, my brother and I were all members back in the late 40s and thru the fifties, until the family moved to Cornwall. My aunt lived on Gatefield Road, and us on the next street over, Glen Road. It was a very active club in those days with "turns" every Saturday night.