Dyson Place off Sharrow Vale Road

I'm trying to find any information and pictures about the houses that once stood at the end of Dyson Place which is off Sharrow Vale Road.

All that is there now (the last time I looked anyway) are a few old cars but there used to stand there an old farmhouse and 3 terraced houses joined onto it. The farm house was itself divided into 2 seperate houses. I believe all these buildings were demolished in the late 1940's / early 1950's.

The main thing I'm after is pictures and I've tried all the usual places for these but no luck so far.

thanks

I know this is an old post but I lived on Dyson place from being born 1959 for 5 years. We lived in one of the cottages directly at the top of the lane. They were demolished in the 60's. Back then there was only the 2 cottages ( semis), there was terraced houses down both sides of the lane but nor all the way down. And there was the houses opposite the cottages to one side which are still there. Our next door neighbour was Mr and Mrs Heppenstall and an old lady from one of the terraced houses was Mrs Duncan who we used to call grandma Duncan.

Hello,

Sorry for the delay in replying but I only found the message notification yesterday in my spam.

My Father lived in Dyson place from around 1938 until the mid to late 1950's. As you walk up the narrow lane there were a group of houses (now demolished) facing you and he lived in the one on the far right. I understand this was the old farmhouse (once occupied by Eliza Dyson) and when my Father was there it had been divided into 2 and he lived in the right hand half.

Joined to the left of the farmhouse was a small row of 3 cottages which then seem to reduce to 2 cottages on the more recent maps.

I've been trying to locate pictures of the farmhouse/cottages for my Father for several years. There are a couple showing the demolition rubble on Picture Sheffield and one quite good aerial view on Britain From Above.

Do you have any pictures of Dyson Place you'd be willing to share?

many thanks

Richard

My name was Lynne Margerrison I was born on the corner of Gordon Road on Stewart Road. I knew Marilyn Heppenstall we went to the same school. Barbara Moorhouse my friend (still is) lived at the bottom of Dyson Place in the big yard next door to the Post Office.

Hello. Yes I remember Marylin. And her mum and dad. And the dog Bimbo. We lived next door to them. Mum and dad was Barbara and Albert. There was 3 of us. Me ( julie) Denise and Tracy. Very young, Tracy would only have been a baby. Me and Denise 5 ish. I have some photos of the Hepenstalls from back then. Marylin in her bikini. Me and Denise admired her . Hahaha. I will have a hunt for the photos and try and get them to you . Sadly dad passed away 5 yrs ago. Mum left dad 20 yrs ago but I am in touch with her. She's got slight dementia coming on but may just remember your name.

Thanks for replying. Julie Cornthwaite ( as was)

---------- Post added 24-08-2015 at 21:42 ----------

Hi Richard. We lived in number 5 which if looking down the lane it was the left one or looking at the cottages it was the right side. So we may have lived in your dads old place. I was born 1959 in the cottage. My eldest sister was the year before but they were living with moms parents. I have found a letter to and from the chap who rented the property to mom and dad . They were talking in the letter about the money that dad had to pay for things that needed doing to the cottage before they could have it? I said above, when I find some photos I will see what I can do with them.

Thanks Julie.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Back when my Dad lived in Dyson he has known as Eric Tomlin. He lived with his parents Ethel and Frank and his sisters Joan and Margaret. Ethel worked at Two Steps just round the corner. In later years he found out that Frank was actually his step Father and after that he went by his mothers maiden name which was Holden. He's got lots of stories about living in Dyson place and remembers the kitchen had a large shallow stone sink and that there was as small stream running down the centre of the cellar.