Sheffield Youth Theatre

Any memories?

I attended this theatre in the early years, c. 1977 or 1978??? meg jepson ran it at the time. We used to do a two week daily workshop session in the six-week hols building up the piece, then some additional rehearsals, then performances.

the first year we did a "sketch" show at the Merlin Theatre called, I think, "Overtures".

The next year was at the Crucible Studio (the big time!) can't remember exactly what it was called, but it was a 2-parter, set in the Sheffield of the future, where an ice-age had set in.

Sadly, after that I was two old!

I used to love the feeling of freedom at the workshops, the other kids just took you at face value, and i learnt things that I still use from time to time now!

I, too was part of Sheffield Youth Theatre, in the late 70s and early 80s.

Meg still runs it, but from what I heard from a report in the star, it is in difficulties through lack of support and lack of premises. it's a huge shame, as it was a great resource for keeping us occupied, and off the streets during the longer holidays

I have great memories of my time with SYT, particularly Easter 79, when we did the mummers plays at Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet, and a later production where we did the Odyssey/ greek tragedies.

I've got a group-photo of SYT from April 79, when we were rehearsing the Mummers plays, which was published in the star, a morris dancer came and demonstrated his craft for us, and another member of YT, called Christine, who was quite talented on the violin accompanied him, as he danced.

happy days.

I was a member of the SYT (1977 I think). We did a 'sketch' called 'Jesus Christ! What the F***ing Hell Is Going On Around Here?' We researched our environment at Hyde Park flats. The sketch featured the disfunctional experiences of a Bullied pregnant teenager and the title was taken from some graffitti from a toilet wall. We performed at the Merlin Theatre.

Re the SYT reunion in June, I'm not able to attend the whole event and had hoped to drop in to see some familiar faces. However, the event seems to have a well organised itinary to involve the whole day.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone to catch up on SYT memories

i went for a while in the 90s; can't remember much about it to be honest.

That's a shame Pixie, the other member there all those years ago were great characters and 34years on I still have great memories.

I was a member of the SYT (1977 I think). We did a 'sketch' called 'Jesus Christ! What the F***ing Hell Is Going On Around Here?' We researched our environment at Hyde Park flats. The sketch featured the disfunctional experiences of a Bullied pregnant teenager and the title was taken from some graffitti from a toilet wall. We performed at the Merlin Theatre.

Re the SYT reunion in June, I'm not able to attend the whole event and had hoped to drop in to see some familiar faces. However, the event seems to have a well organised itinary to involve the whole day.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone to catch up on SYT memories

Well, I remember that one too! Meg toned down the original title as mentioned above to "What the Hell's going on here?" as I recall. The rather powerful (or so it seemedat the time!) piece ended with a group of us circling the aforementioned bullied teenager saying "frigid, frigid, frigid......." getting louder and louder and ended with her shouting or screaming.

I had a bit role, and the guy "facilitating" with Meg told me to strut around like I carried my dong on a wheelbarrow!!! I like to think I strutted! :-)

I remember the day at Hyde Park too - bear in mind I was from the Arbourthorne, even I thought it was a desolate place. I seem to remember there was a wall, maybe a toilet, with looooads of graffiti on, but that particular quote was bigger, or in white or something. Mind you, twas a while ago!

I knew the girl who played the teenager, vaguely - she used to play tennis and I'd seen or spoken to her at one of the junior tournaments.

I played the teenager's dreadful sister,with the strippey socks!

I remember the facilitator too though not his name. Didn't he have ginger hair and a gold tooth?

I last saw Meg at the Crucible theatre around 1980. I worked there for a while but didn't admit to her that I only prepared the salads in the restaurant! It was good though because I got free tickets to all the productions. lol

He DID have ginger hair! and i think there was another woman facilitator, also ginger(ish). I accidentally walked in on her nude in the changing rooms. Managed to maintain my composure, tho!

I saw Meg a few times over the years, in passing, but she never spoke to me....... :-(

Suppose that says it all about my acting ability!! :-)

I remember Meg once giving us all a lecture about being "in the part" all the time, and mentioning someone who was exemplary at it, whatever we were doing - was that you?? I kinda remember the stripey socks, but not much else, I'm sorry to say!

Edited by sheffworker
typo

Wow! I never encountered any nudity or anything so exciting!...lucky you.

I was enthusiastic but not talented I'm afraid. I really envied those who were.

Not sure if I'm recalling the same ticking off but we had to stare into space and convince the audience(meg) that we were looking at an invisible person standing close up. Apparently most of us were crap at it and weren't concentrating...Huh???

I remember feeling lucky.................not cos of seeing the flesh, but I made so little fuss about it (translation: scared witlees!) some of the others present - ok, the girls!! - thought I'd carried it off quite cooly! If only they'd known.

I think I was in the same "enthusiastic" category - I LOVED it! - but little skill and less talent. hence not getting a word off Meg!

I once had a reasonably important part tho - in the flaming Ice Epic, laid on the stage in silence at the very beginning, with a guy called Sean who was a "lead", shaking with repressed laughter from nerves at HAVING to stay still - musta got the part by mistake. Or default, I was one of the oldest by that time!

My SYT days were cut short when I moved to Edale. Been back in Sheffield 5 years but not seen any ex members for donkeys years. Often wonder about some of them and what they're up to now.BBFN

Hi all I am in touch with Meg, not sure of the legalities of my capacity I'm allowed to reveal, but Meg mentions the kids she worked with & says they were all brilliant & very intelligent. If you have any messages for Meg I will read them to her. I have only just seen that there was a meet up, I'm sure Meg would love to see you all.. Please reply messages for her, thanks,