Old Wash Houses

Yes waltheof some probably were still open in 70s ,Dont know when the Wincobank one actually closed.

Barney , I dont remember much about any sweet shop where Judiths was but obviously the one below in the photo was one.

Also further down Newman was George Moveleys who did home made lollies , bottled freeze ups etc, And so did Geoff and may Brantwood at the corner of Tansley and Newman.

Edited by tara

Hi Tara

I said earlier that most of my memories are clouded !

It's just like trying to work out who you are and why you know so much about my time in Wincobank

I always thought the swing incident with Elaine was a secret !!!! I can still remember the bashing I got for that.

I think I better get in touch with other members of my family and try and work things out.

Other names that have come to mind are Mark Hardwick, Georgie Ainsworth, Rosalie Bates and Dennis Smith.

Boco

I frequently lay some flowers on Dr Wynne's grave in Shiregreen Cemetery - he was a good man to us and should never be forgotten.

Does anyone else have any memories of these places.- in the 60s.

I remember going with my mum to the wincobank one. the poor loves would have to scrub the clothes in giant sinks, and then rinse and twist them about six times, then put them on these burning hot metal rods .

the heat was unbearable.(women had to be tough in those days.)

my mum only went a few times then she got a twin tub.

But my grandma had been going for years and she had about 11 kids.

can you imagine all the washing for that lot.

in the same building was the slipper baths where you would pay so much to have a bath.

usually people like us who didnt have a bathroom , living in the back to back houses.

only alternative was the tin bath which if you were lucky and lived in the yard ,could hang it up on a big nail on the wall.

(as previously mentioned on 70s thread.)

also remember catching a train at wincobank to go to belle vue zoo.

I can just remember the one at the bottom of Merton Lane. The women took their washing down in prams. I remember the slipper baths as well - 6d for a bath I seem to recall.

I frequently lay some flowers on Dr Wynne's grave in Shiregreen Cemetery - he was a good man to us and should never be forgotten.

He was a good man - he helped deliver me into this world! Obviously I can't remember that, but I do remember the massive queues in his surgery years later. Once I cut my forehead open badly and my mother took me down. Everyone in the waiting room insisted we went straight in, and he just told her to take me to the Northern General immediately. So off we went there - via the number 4 bus to Firth Park!

I remember Wincobank Wash house it was opposite a small steel works where I caught the bus to Firth Park. I also remember Wadsworth's shop, and both the chip shops in Fife Street next to Wards, across the road from Peggs. The other chip shop was opposite Wadsworth's. How I loved to go blue belling in the spring in Woolley Woods, but my grandmother always warned us not to talk to the "Bluebell Man". We used to walk through the woods to the golf course at the top and look for golf balls. Another pastime was picking wild flowers in Maycocks field and being warned by grandma again not to sniff the poppies or we would have a head ache. Grandma and Grandad used to have a garden across the road from their house in Jedburgh Street, it was up the ginnel. Uncle Jack also had one there, his wife Auntie lily used to make beautiful paper flowers which she sold and she was known all over Wincobank for them. We all used to go to the Working Men's Club in Wincobank and my father occasionally played in a band there with a man call Vic Haythorne. I could go on all day but maybe others will remember these things.

Pat Smith (Grimsby)

My 90 year old mum will remember the wash house. She used to toddle off there with a suitcase full of washing, sweat buckets doing it, pack it all back into the suitcase and catch the bus back up Newman Road.

She was really annoyed when the bus conductor said "You been on yer holidays love?" just because she was so red in the face! I can't remember her retort, but I bet it wasn't "Thank you for asking, kind Sir"

these definately lived on standon when i was there anyway.

Sidney and june wilcox.

I remember they could never go out to play always had to go to bed very early. well june did anyway.

also did anyone know the Ballingers off either jedburg or jordine.

they were a large family- pauline, iris and john- cant remember the rest.

rita eagan, and someone called leonard who lived in a shop near standon.

jacqueline and james stretch.

probably be before anyones time on here.

My cousin lives on jordine i think but i havent seen him for years.

he lived at pitsmoor in the early days that little rd off the right hand side of catherine st.

Hey ducky - hadn't seen you on here before! Ballinger is a name I'd forgotten - I think Iris used to be a schoolfriend of my sister. And I'd forgotten about Sidney Wilcox. I think he was my age.

There's a Maurice on here and this has reminded me of Maurice Campbell - the main reason I remember this name is that Maurice was my father's name. I wonder if your Leonard was Leonard Beedham? If so, he was related to the Brandwoods via May's mother, Ada.

When we moved up to Shiregreen, my mum used to visit various people on a Friday afternoon, 'doing the rounds'. She visited Edna Cadman, May Brandwood, probably the Sienkiewicz's, and maybe more. She kept to a routine, picking up some shopping at May's. I used to walk down from school and listen to some of the conversation at Ada Brandwood's house (quite fruity at times) She used to have a beer man to deliver her weekly beer - always Mackeson and she always drank it from a china teacup. She used to say she'd been 'married 3 times and none of the bleeders had left me owt'.

When we had a car, my dad would sometimes pick us up and May would start to tell stories about when they were all younger, and about the war times. Very funny and very naughty sometimes. :blush:

Hi Tara

Some great memories there !

Perhaps you can help me with this one when did Judith's Hairdressers open I seem to remember this being a sweet/grocer's shop I am sure I used to buy my school pens and more importantly their home made ice-lollies from this shop on my way to Wincobank Primary School around 1964/1965.

Boco

Those ice lollies - we weren't allowed to buy Movely's lollies in case 'Aunty' May Brandwood got offended. But I would give anything to taste rainbow crystals stuck to the end of one of those lollies! Yum.

I'm wondering if the shop you mean was Nancy's fruit and veg shop. There was very little cross-over of the type of things each shop sold. If one shopkeeper found out that another shop was encroaching, there would be very bad feeling. I remember going shopping with the old lady next door, and she asked me to wait outside with bags of shopping because she didn't want to offend the shopkeeper! Wonder what they'd think now?

Hi Tara

I always thought the swing incident with Elaine was a secret !!!! I can still remember the bashing I got for that.

I know cos I was there lol. So was Kathryn Haykin.

Not so much of a secret then lol.

I can just remember the one at the bottom of Merton Lane. The women took their washing down in prams. I remember the slipper baths as well - 6d for a bath I seem to recall.

Prams - didn't know that but it was a brilliant idea! My mother used to take our washing in a suitcase, and being a redhead she got very red in the face doing the washing (mind you I should they were all redfaced by the time they'd finished)

She would pack the clean things back into the suitcase (which would be even heavier, because the clothes still weren't aired) and catch the bus to come back up the hill. She would get very annoyed with the bus conductor for asking her if she'd had a nice holiday; whether he was kidding her, or serious, I don't know, but I don't suppose any of the red-faced women were very amused!

Hi Tara

I know cos I was there lol. So was Kathryn Haykin.

Not so much of a secret then lol.

I made contact with Kathryn Haykin the other week. She is looking very well. She has a few grandkids now, lucky girl, and she said that the daughter she had whilst still school age is now 43! It's quite amazing, and was a delicious scandal at the time. I think I still didn't know how to 'do it' when I was that age. I told my daughters about this and their mouths fell open! :o