Old Wash Houses

Dr Wynne

Top GP

rab1

Top Poster for saying so!

Hey Timo, were you head boy or a prefect at Hinde House School?

Anj,

I was both a House Captain and prefect. In a callow and misguided attempt at 'Monty Pythonesque' humour, myself and another boy [now in the RAF] sported Nazi armbands as prefects on one occasion. We bought them from a flea market at the City Hall, and they caused great amusement amongst the younger kids as we mock-herded them like Stormtroopers. Actually, the armbands were quite appropriate, as the school was run like a Nazi Order Castle, by Untersturmbannfuhrer Derlwyn Edwards.

Timo, I remember you and I also remember your sister Wendy. I pass your old house at least once a day. I recall a time when I was at Hinde House (I am a tadd younger than you) and before I tell you of this recollection please bear in mind that more than 25 years have passed and that although it's one of the things I remember about Hinde House I have grown and am not that wimpy girl I was then who would burst into tears or at least 'fill up' at the slightest raised voice and I bear you no malice.

My friends and I were waiting outside Mr Carrs music room (M corridor?) one lunchtime - probably having a violin lesson or something which we tried to use to get out of standing outside at lunctimes. If I remember rightly, the doors to this classroom were two big glass ones. You came storming up the stairs, round the corner (probably sporting one of your nazi armbands!) and bulldozed me out of your way. Almost knocking me into next week!

As I said its in the past, but I just wanted to let you know I remember the incident and should I have met you, would have told you yourself of this recollection and had a bit of a laugh about it. Bearing in mind Mr Edwards was our headmaster, You didn't have much of a role model did you.

Anj,

I am appalled to hear of this oafish behaviour on my part, and I send you a cyber-kiss X to make amends a quarter of a century too late. Sorry. I wonder who you are? I hope you believe me when I say that the swaggering lummox that felled you all those years ago is now a decent stick, and lectures in Higher Ed.

By the way, re the sinister, caped Edwards [a sort of tall, Welsh Vampire], there are threads about him in the archives if you care to search. Needless to say, I contribute some vituperative material.

Best Regards,

Tim

Apology accepted Timo. I had read on another thread that you had settled school yard feud through the forum, so thought I would sort of do the same. I couldn't find that thread, so I put it on this one.

By the way did you know the old school has been demolished now. A new school has been built on what was the school field, you know the one we used to hold school sports day on.

I think it's quite sad, but having said that it had turned into a horrible dump of a place.

Anj,

I am trying to place you, but simply can't. I wonder if you are the sister of a friend of mine from back then? 'Anj' suggests Angela, but the only Angelas I knew were my age, and you claim to be younger. Alison Gartshaw? Joanne West? I wonder who you are? You could always [hint hint] send me a private message. Discretion is assured!

Hello again Timo,

I quite like the idea of being a woman of mystery! I think I will remain so a little longer, although I will tell you that although I am know to my friends as 'Anj' it is not short for Angela, and my two older brothers also went to Hinde House - one in the same year as you and the other 3 or 4 years above him.

Anj,

Whoever you are, you sound very endearing! Any time you feel like revealing your true identity, please don't hesitate to do so via pm. You are toying with me re the 'woman of mystery' image , and I am genuinely baffled. This is good fun, actually. I like a good mystery, and I have gone through a list of surnames this morning, but to no avail. The stumbling block is the older brother. I can think of guys in my year who had younger sisters, but not with a brother 3 or 4 years older too. I 'll get there...

Timo, i've a v good idea who she is, but i couldnt reveal her ID, it would not be fair,

Clarkie,

I agree here. We have no right to reveal anyone's identity on the forum. If I do 'suss' Anj's real id, I will send her a private message.

Actually, Anj is not the only person to deduce my real identity on the forum. I mainly post in General chit chat and Entertainment, and four posters have sent me pms to say that they realised who I was. The sardonic humour, plus the 'Timo' name were give-aways, apparently. We do have to be careful what we say on here, though. In the case of the deceased, like dear Dr Wynne and the appalling Derwyn Edwards [Head of Hinde House] posters can get away with saying more or less what they wish, as one cannot libel the dead. There is a real possibility of being sued by the living, however!