Old Wash Houses

Timo and Tara, my other half is 48 and went to Hinde Hse - Martin Brown. You may remember him. Ey up Clarkie - hows it going?

Caz

Originally posted by Cazzerb65

Timo and Tara, my other half is 48 and went to Hinde Hse - Martin Brown. You may remember him. Ey up Clarkie - hows it going?

Caz

Originally posted by clarkie

timo, thanks for your responce, i have many memories of Dr Wynne and stories i could tell. i notice from an earlier posting of yours that you are 43, did you attend school in the wincobank area? if so, you may know my brother David who is around your age, as for me i'm a lttle older.

The wonderful Doctor Wynne.

Our GP for so many years when I moved back to the area after leaving Nether Edge I called him to get on his books - thank goodness he was still practising.

I remember the gossip when he left his wife - Wincobank was on fire for all the wrong reasons.

The poor man was castigated by so many who had no room to call him.

God Bless Doctor Wynne - he was a truly wonderful human being.

Cazzer,

Sorry, I don't remember Martin. I was a pupil from 74 to 78.

Windmillgal,

I recall the scandal as a young lad around dear Dr Wynne. How right you are to say that he was unfairly castigated. Both my parents and paternal grandparents took no notice of the 'tittle tattle' and continued to be registered at his surgery. Unbelievably [by today's standards] some people actually changed doctor because of the doctor's 'shameful' behaviour. Who were they to judge? Who truly knows what goes on in someone else's marriage?

Like you, my memories of Dr Wynne are golden.

Edited by Jekelo

I love reading all these historical threads. I have only lived in Sheffield since 1969 so I am just a youngster! lol. BUT.......if I don't know of the history it doesn't matter much because I can read it on here.

I was born and bred in Plymouth.....so outside toilets etc were a totally new concept to me when I moved here. I was gob smacked to see such a thing! Plymouth was pretty well bombed to the ground during the war.....so by the time I came along it was well on it's way to being rebuilt in the modern fashion which included "bathrooms" within the houses. Of course I took it for granted because it was all I had ever known.

Anyhow......I want to tell you of our family Doctor. Doctor Anderson was his name and he was a Scot through and through. He would visit the house as was required. He came to our house to administer the childrens "jabs" etc. He would boil up the needles in a pan of water on our cooker. He allways reeked of whisky and he had the ruddy coloured bulbous nose of a whisky drinker. Of course I didn't know that back then. I just knew he had an "odd" whiff to him! lol. He was a wonderful doctor. I suffered badly from tonsillitus back then and spent many weeks off school and in bed with it. Dear Dr Anderson was a regular visitor to me...often bringing lollipops with him. That man was so kind and caring and I remember my Mum being upset when he gave up practising. I have never known another Doctor to get anywhere near to matching up to our Dr Anderson. Bless him.

I remember my Mum's old "Burco boiler" for washing the clothes in. Monday was allways wash day. I hated it because Mum was allways in a bad mood and the house was full of steam and wet washing. Summer was better because the washing was outside drying. I remember Mum slamming the wet washing through the mangle. I also remember the day that her brand new "twin tub" arrived. The mangle was moved into the hallway and we were able to use it as a table to play with our plasticene on. Hey....another memory here.....plasticene. All those lovely colours. I used to fashion mine into people and food items. Also sausages.........we three children used to try and make the longest sausage without it breaking. The smell of the plasticene is also something that will allways be with me. Eventually the colours would all get mixed up and you would end up with a drab coloured blob! That's when we lost interest in it......maybe after a day or two? I can't remember.

Anyhow......I have diversified. Back to the original thread........there was the site of an old wash house in our last house. It had been demolished but because of the way that the property had been divided up on sale many years ago, it meant that our next door neighbours had the right to store their rubbish bin on our land!! I never did manage to work that one out.......but thankfully it was never put to the test.

Originally posted by clarkie

timo, thanks for your responce, i have many memories of Dr Wynne and stories i could tell.

I'm interested in your stories clarkie, are they good or bad memories?

Hi All

I see you mention Dr Wynne Well his was my DR too as my Nan (Mrs Else Kent )lived at number 13 Newman road next door to his surery. As a child I played with his children James & Magrett. My grandparents lived at that house for 40 years and before that they owned the shop accross from the Engineers pub. Just for the record Dr Wynne (Peter) came from Trilee southen Ireland. he was indeed a person who went to church, liked backing the horses. But still a fine Doctor. My father was also brought up in Wincobank Harold Kent. and my Grandfather was the church warden..AS a child I remember May and Jeff Bramwoods shop,, Mrs Higgings the bucher.. and many more. Great People Great Days...

Jekelo,

How do you know that the people who write so affectionately [including myself] of Dr Wynne never had 'serious problems that he had to deal with'? You would be very surprised. Dr Wynne was, in my experience, a very caring and efficient GP indeed. I cannot comment on your case, or go into private details on an open forum. Nevertheless, we will have to agree to differ on this subject. All I will say is that GPs, like everyone else, can make mistakes. Wynne was a popular doctor with a large surgery for many years, and I cannot imagine him making many serious errors. Without divulging too much, the good doctor spotted cancer straight away in an elderly relative of mine, thus giving him precious extra years of life. I shall always smile when I think of him, even if you don't.

I have read all the comments on the late Dr PJ Wynne and all the details of his various relationships in the village. Nice to know one of his children followed in his footsteps he had six children.. He was also pushed a side by some for being a "backer of horses" which lead to his being delared bankrupt. The poor man was homless at one time taking to sleeping in his surgery, or at my Nans next door.

none of us lead squeaky clean lives so lets not stop to doubt his integrity.

. "let he who without sin cast the first stone"

It is possible to like someone all the more because of their imperfections. I liked Wynne a great deal, and his alleged 'roguish' side adds to the agreeable image of him in my mind. Life is about characters, in my book, and Dr Wynne was certainly a likeable character. May he rest in peace.

I remember Mrs Kent, (Granny Kent) we knew her by, I often visited her for a chat and a cup of tea, she was a loverly dear old lady.

Nice people like Granny Kent will never be forgotten.

As for you comments Jeleko, you mention an isolated incident of which I do know about, there are one or two others that could be viewed as errors, but as Timo quite rightly comments that Drs are only human, and as such are capable of error, its unfortunate that when a Dr makes an error he is hung drawn & quartered for it, on the whole Dr Wynne had many more satisfied 'customers' than those who were not.

I am not saying that he was perfect, and that he was a model human, I know from personal experience that he wasnt. As for the stories I could tell, having lived with Dr Wynne, (he was my mothers partner for the best part of 15 years), by enlarge are funny, happy stories and sometimes sad and not as I suspect you thought in anyway critical of the way he practaced medicine or conducted his private life. The man has been dead for 12 years now and any stories of a critical nature would be inappropiate.