Blocking planning Permission

OK, let's get back to some sort of sense here.

First you need to ask yourself what you are objecting about. At first sight you seem to have a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to what's going on in there so I'd ask you to have a good think about it.

The facility is obviously a regulated, licenced recycling and handling unit which will be purpose built for the job in hand. The safety of the staff and the people visiting and living around the area will have top priority and the HSE will be involved in daily aspects of the plants activities.

The materials being dealt with surround you every day.

SF6 - an inert, non toxic gas used to insulate electricity installations.

PCB's - to be found in nearly every street in the electricity sub-station, and nearly every factory in the electrical transformers.

Mercury - contained in the fluorescent tube in your kitchen.

Asbestos - you probably have it in your house wiring or on your garage roof.

If you are genuinely worried about the risks from these materials then you should really be thinking about encouraging the plant because you will be living next to the safest place in South Yorkshire with the least risk of exposure to materials that you find everywhere around you in your daily life.

It's all a matter of perspective and I hope the above helps.

redrobbo... I hope that you're not on any planning committees at the moment, we can do without Councillors acting in such an illogical manner. ;)

Tony , this is not just a knee jerk reaction. It is a carefully considered response. Planning permission was once sought for the same sort of business over 15 years ago, this was blocked. We are only concerned with the welfare of our families. The company who are seeking permission aren t even members of the regulatory body , who govern the processing of asbestos. Fair enough this is voluntary , but if you have nothing to hide and are trying to gain confidence of the residents in the near locality , surely it would be a gesture of goodwill to join up?

We have found out a lot about the company concerned , which does not allay our fears .

We have contacted the local press who are running the story , I am going to see the Wath Community Partnership this afternoon. All the people we have contacted about this are concerned.

After years decline and now its subsiquent regeneration, our area is now blossoming and we would like it to continue.

But none of those things are remotely dangerous when handled properly in a proper facility.

I do empathise with you but it's a little bit like the people who don't let their kids out to learn for themselves how to handle the big wide world... because the parents think that there is a paedophile behind every tree.

But none of those things are remotely dangerous when handled properly in a proper facility.

Yeah, but when these dangerous substances are being stored just yards from her back garden then I think the OP has every reason to be a little concerned.

Well the site is on a flood plain , and was badly affected in the June floods, so what happens to the natural habitat if this occurs again? and where will the contaminated waters run to,through the dyke and into our local nature reserves.

Anyway , I m off now to see our local Partnership . Hopefully they will be more receptive and have some positive ideas to contribute.

redrobbo... I hope that you're not on any planning committees at the moment, we can do without Councillors acting in such an illogical manner. ;)

The OP lives in Rotherham MBC, not in Sheffield.

The OP has asked for advice - which I and other posters have responded to. I have made no comment to the OP on the validity of an objection, merely responded with advice on how to make an objection.

The OP is entitled to lodge objections to a planning application - and it is for the Planning Board to consider what weight to give to those objections. The decision as to whether an objection is illogical rests with the Planning Board - not with you or me.

For the record, I have never served on a Planning Board.

What an over reaction!

The Waste Industry is tightly regulated, monitored by the Environment Agency and is at the forefront of technological advances.

There will be no danger to the public from the activities that are going to be done on this site.

The things you should focus on are that issues like vehicle access, noise and working hours have been resolved rather than getting all het up about the material that will be so tightly and carefully handled that they will pose no risk.

You mention the area "blossoming" well this will continue that and will provide much needed employment to the area.

Yeah, but when these dangerous substances are being stored just yards from her back garden then I think the OP has every reason to be a little concerned.

You think wrong, then. There is no reason whatsoever to be concerned about a properly regulated waste treatment plant.

What an over reaction!

The Waste Industry is tightly regulated, monitored by the Environment Agency and is at the forefront of technological advances.

There will be no danger to the public from the activities that are going to be done on this site.

The things you should focus on are that issues like vehicle access, noise and working hours have been resolved rather than getting all het up about the material that will be so tightly and carefully handled that they will pose no risk.

You mention the area "blossoming" well this will continue that and will provide much needed employment to the area.

If that is the case then why not buy Imelda's house and live right next door to it.

If that is the case then why not buy Imelda's house and live right next door to it.

If she's willing to sell at a huge discount for the sake of moving away, I'd be happy to. Otherwise I can't afford it :D

You think wrong, then. There is no reason whatsoever to be concerned about a properly regulated waste treatment plant.

I'm sorry, but I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say, i was addressing the OP's fears not questioning whether waste management is safe or not.