My computer takes ages to boot up

Hi people,

When I turn on my computer it takes ages to load. ages ago there was a thread that showed you how to view what programs are starting on the startup.

How can i see what programs are loading and delete the un wanted programs from the list?

u can stop some progs running at start by ...... click on start/run.... type in msconfig then a window will open , click on start up & untick stuff u dont want to run (u must be logged in as admin) careful u dont untick stuff it needs tho

If you download Spybot Search and Destroy there's a utility with it that tells you what each item on your startup list does and lets you turn off ones you don't need.

before reinstall:

clear ur startup (start->run...->msconfig-->autostart->unsign all!)

get adaware and clear ur work place ...

before reinstall:

clear ur startup (start->run...->msconfig-->autostart->unsign all!)

get adaware and clear ur work place ...

Unless you want to re-boot with no anti-virus & (if you're using third-party) firewall you don't want to remove everything though, do you?

If you're unsure then you'd be better off removing all the ones you're sure about, & either googling or otherwise checking the ones you're not sure about.

If it helps, posting your Anti-Virus software here would allow us to tell you the programs you want running on start up.

If it helps, posting your Anti-Virus software here would allow us to tell you the programs you want running on start up.

Or, better still...

DL and run HijackThis and post a log file.

Someone will be around to offer help:thumbsup:

My pc, OS XP SP2, takes 40 seconds to the welcome screen, 2 minutes 20 seconds for the desktop icons to appear and 2 minutes 30 seconds for the hour glass to go.

The only things in start up are my A/V (disabling makes no difference to the timing) and zone alarm.

Does this constitute a long time for start up?

My pc, OS XP SP2, takes 40 seconds to the welcome screen, 2 minutes 20 seconds for the desktop icons to appear and 2 minutes 30 seconds for the hour glass to go.?

Does this constitute a long time for start up?

Considering mine boots to the desktop in less than 30 seconds, I say yes!

I thought mine took ages to boot.....48 secs to the Welcome Screen then another 1min 20sec to the desktop. Wish mine would boot to the desktop in 30 secs ......

Considering mine boots to the desktop in less than 30 seconds, I say yes!

Mine was around 28-30 seconds when fresh, takes about a minute now. If the times mentioned by others here are right, I wont bother trying to fix it just yet :)

I have sorted it now. For some reason Itunes was loading up in the background so i removed that and also Quicktime was loading which I never use so I shut that down