Remember the Goon Show

Some of the shows were co-written by Eric Sykes, and I think on occasion Grahame Starke (or was it Kenneth Connor?) played Neddie Seagoon when Harry Seacombe was ill. Milligan was always trying to slip Army jokes past the powers that be, occasionally successfully, e.g. an Army officer called Hugh Jampton, and Moriarty and Thynne giving their address as The Bladders, Harpyapipe. I think everybody had their favourite characters, but for me the best were the battles and arguments between Henry Crun and Minnie Bannister (the Darling of Roper's Light Horse!)

"Bannister?"

"Didn't I see you on the stairs?"

Milligna, the well-known spelling mistake...

love them to bits! Still playing on Australian Radio every week - they tried to take it off and there was a riot!

i had a dvd with the goon shows on in mp3 form ages ago might have to go back to the car boot/market that i got it from for another one

Ying Tong Song, never get away with that one today. lol :hihi:

Ying Tong Song, never get away with that one today. lol :hihi:

And "I`m walking backwards to christmas".

I have just listened to THE GOONS on D.A.B. RADIO 7 its on every Monday, Tuesdays its TONY HANCOCK, Wednesdays its ROUND THE HORNE, Thursdays its THE NAVY LARK and on Friday its DADS ARMY.

They all start at 7 o`clock every weekday.

Radio 7 is now Radio 4 Extra but the comedies are still the same.

so many happy memories. I used to sit in the kitchen with my Mum listening to the radio on a Sunday whilst she was cooking the Sunday dinner waiting for my Dad to come home from the club. Round the Horne,Clitheroe kid et al

And "I`m walking backwards to christmas".

LOL, I have walked back to over 70 of them in my head ,of course. Anyone remember the attempt to put the Goon show on TV, disguised as The Cathode Ray Tube Show, not that good, Imagination is way funnier than the real thing, I suppose. Radio rules for that kind of humour, in my opinion.

LOL, I have walked back to over 70 of them in my head ,of course. Anyone remember the attempt to put the Goon show on TV, disguised as The Cathode Ray Tube Show, not that good, Imagination is way funnier than the real thing, I suppose. Radio rules for that kind of humour, in my opinion.

I agree,it is great to let your imagination see things that are not possible on T.V.

so many happy memories. I used to sit in the kitchen with my Mum listening to the radio on a Sunday whilst she was cooking the Sunday dinner waiting for my Dad to come home from the club. Round the Horne,Clitheroe kid et al

hiya, one i remember went like this during the war it was said by a boffin why don't we build tanks and planes and such out of cardboard on salisbury plain to make jerrie think we were stronger than we were, that was ok until jerry came over and bombed them with cardboard bombs.

i remember still workers playtime, and we three of happydrome working for the bbc ramsbottom enock and me (mr lovejoy)

Edited by willybite

I agree,it is great to let your imagination see things that are not possible on T.V.

Mind you, when I tell folks over here that a top radio show in the 50's starred a ventriloquist and his dummy, they think I am playing with them as my Yorkshire kidology often does. So I tell them to google Educating Archie LOL

hiya, one i remember went like this during the war it was said by a boffin why don't we build tanks and planes and such out of cardboard on salisbury plain to make jerrie think we were stronger than we were, that was ok until jerry came over and bombed them with cardboard bombs.

i remember still workers playtime, and we three of happydrome working for the bbc ramsbottom enock and me (mr lovejoy)

One of the favourites in our house was I.T.M.A.,with Tommy Handley.