Remember the Goon Show

Anyone stiill around who remember the Goon Show?, the crazy radio show which led the way with surrealist humour and the unforgettable characters,Major Dennis Bloodnok,Eccles,Neddie Seagoon,Henry Crun,Minnie Bannister,Bluebottle,I used to sit there helpless with laughter and my Sister could not see the humour sat with a "Whats funny about this"look on her face.

A show long gone but never forgotten, and still listened to with the help of the BBC Radio Collection Cds

I remember repeats of it - I'm in my mid-40s but I lived in a very 'radio oriented' household, and it used to show up occasionally on Radio 2 at weird times....

I think it was Bluebottle who provided me with a phrase I still use when something goes wrong at work: "It's fallen in the water!"

:)

Hi Harlan

Don't forget the Telly-Goons, Saturday tea-time TV IIRC.

Leipzig

I remember them well.

I was still at school in the sixties, and we had a teacher that had collected a series of them on the old "78" vinyl records.

He often played them to us in class at the end of term.

Yep...I now have a couple of CD's with them on.

Thanks for the comments,there were originally four"Goons"Spike Milligan,Peter Sellers,Harry Secombe and Michael Bentine,but Bentine dropped out I think to pursue a solo career,the announcer was Wallace Greenslade,often incorporated in the story, and the butt of many jokes?if there was story,the musical interludes were provided by the Ray Ellington Quartet, and the the Belgian(I think he was Belgian)harmonica player Max Geldray,and if my ageing memory is correct it went out on the radio on Thursday evenings 9.30 until 10 pm, er I think,and that half hour was inviolate as far as I was concerned,and of course there was a recap with all my mates at work the nexr morning.

Guest Ant

I'm a big Goons fan - my near-complete collection on cassettes had to be dumped due to wear and tear. I'm currently building up a new collection.

Episodes are still being broadcast on BBC7 (I know 'cos I've got it written down on a piece of paper).

Entertainment, though, rather than Sheffield History? :huh:

Entertainment, though, rather than Sheffield History? :huh:

I would say it's "history" and in the correct place.

Ok - not sheffield history, but neither are some other threads. The "Summer of 76" (for instance) wasn't confined to Sheffield.

I remember them well.

The BBC radio was a veritable gold mine of comedy programs.

From after WW11 to the early 60s.

ITMA, Ted Ray, The Lyons, Tony Hancock, Kenneth Horn, Ken Dodds, & lots more that escape my memory.

I am sure Forum Members will revive it

Some of the shows were co-written by Eric Sykes, and I think on occasion Grahame Starke (or was it Kenneth Connor?) played Neddie Seagoon when Harry Seacombe was ill. Milligan was always trying to slip Army jokes past the powers that be, occasionally successfully, e.g. an Army officer called Hugh Jampton, and Moriarty and Thynne giving their address as The Bladders, Harpyapipe. I think everybody had their favourite characters, but for me the best were the battles and arguments between Henry Crun and Minnie Bannister (the Darling of Roper's Light Horse!)

I have just listened to THE GOONS on D.A.B. RADIO 7 its on every Monday, Tuesdays its TONY HANCOCK, Wednesdays its ROUND THE HORNE, Thursdays its THE NAVY LARK and on Friday its DADS ARMY.

They all start at 7 o`clock every weekday.

Sorry if someone thinks I am in the wrong catergory, and it was not Sheffield history but entertainment,but being a Sheffielder born and bred it was part of my history, and many of my mates,but maybe I am wrong but it does say"reminisce about days gone by"will watch it in future!!!!

The gag I remember most was about the Olympic games and the arrival of the teams.

The announcer's voice would say "And here comes the United States team"and you would hear a loud jet engine of a plane coming in to land. This was repeated for the

Russian and French teams. Then came the announcement"And here comes the British

team"followed by the sound of army boots marching on concrete,and a Sergeant Major

type voice shouting "Left right,left right". Pure Goonery