Piccolo Cafe On Cambridge Street

I worked on back fields at Charlie mays garage during the late sixties,we used to get chip butties from the pic covered in thick gravy, lovely.

The Piccolo was definitely nearer the top of Cambridge Street about next door but 2 to The Albert. My sisters and I often went in for tea after school when we lived at The Albert circa 1972 - where Yates is now. There was a clothes shop next door too - I remember they sold velvet ‘loon’ trousers in every colour - piles of them in the window.  Plus plenty of those stinky Afghan coats. You could always smell incense when you went past.  Very hippy chic.

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2010 at 13:02, bullerboY said:

Was piccolos previously called the cambridge coffee house?early sixties.

The Cambridge Coffee House was next door to the Sportsman pub, between the pub and the Barley Corn (later Henry's), the Piccolo was higher up Cambridge Street nearer the Albert pub.

The pics back entrance was on Backfields a small lane just wide enough for one car, i worked at a car repair garage also on the same lane so our gate was opposite ,if I remember correctly the owner in the pic was Mr Hudson .this would be early seventies late sixties time. His car was a Hillman hunter at the time.

My sister in law was the receptionist at the Dentists on that picture,I used to know Charlie May quite well a nice guy but his son was dodgy.Charley lived on Hollowmoor rd Wisewood and was very proud of his lawn and garden.Gilders had a turntable for the cars in the shop so they could turn them round easily.