Music in Weston Park

Does anyone have any memories of music concerts or events that took place in Weston Park? I have seen photographs of rock concerts that took place in 1970s. Does anyone remember the names of the bands that played there? Did anyone go to the Big Breakfast Roadshow that took place there in the nineties? Were there any other concerts or different types of music performances that you remember? I'd love to hear your stories. You can also add your story or any photographs you may have to a community history website, at http://www.westonpark.org.uk/yourwestonpark

I remember the various 'Dolebusters' festivals in Weston Park in the eighties. Saw such luminaries as Criminal Sex, Flexible Penguins, Hole In The Wall, Spoon, and Henry Normal (now a succesful comedy writer or something).

At least one compliation came out of it featuring the likes of Pulp (remember them?), The Wealthy Texans, The Masons and loads of other long forgotten acts. I seem to remember the audiences consisted of bands and their mates and that was about it.

I organised several free concerts there from1969 to 71.Regulars were McCloskeys Apocolypse and Shape of the Rain.We also had Frank White,Acid,Crater and Peter Green who had just left Fleetwood Mac.

The two unknown band shots on that photo link are Shape of the Rain, who came from the Chesterfield area. They did a lot of West Coast covers, and also good original material.

remember, must have been in the 70's when a blue transit van with Shape of the Rain written across the front of the windscreen was always driving up and down city road.

My Mom lived accross the street from the Weston park, we would walk over and listen to the band on a Sunday while the roast was cooking, walk back and have a shandy while the puds were in.

I have a silver tea service I got when Walker & Halls went out of buisness, years later I saw the same set in the Weston Park museum, it seems it was there as it was designed by a Sheffield artist....Peter (someone) I think, i did take a photo of it and a couple of year back sent the photo to a place in Sheffield but they din't recognize it, I think i'll try again sometime.

The two unknown band shots on that photo link are Shape of the Rain, who came from the Chesterfield area. They did a lot of West Coast covers, and also good original material.

Hiya, couldn't be Shape of the Rain they were a four or five piece, this band is a three piece called Panic

I met Peter Green in 1970 when he’d just left Fleetwood Mac, he played a free concert Sir Glyn put on in a Sheffield park. Afterwards we sat on the grass and talked, he seemed lost, not sure what he was going to do. He chainsmoked dope throughout, ripping the roaches into small pieces and dropping them on the grass. I had to pick them up afterwards as we were hoping to put on more concerts.

Edited by Andrew R