Anyone remember 'the monkey' at Neepsend?

Anyone remember the pub at the bottom of Parkwood road at Neepsend? I think it was called 'the Parkwood' but was called 'the monkey' by the locals because there was a large stuffed monkey or gorilla in the corner!

Does anyone have any memories to tell?

Does anyone remember the Pugh family of Parkwood road who frequented tho place?:)

was it called THE VICTORIA I believe it was

Anyone remember the pub at the bottom of Parkwood road at Neepsend? I think it was called 'the Parkwood' but was called 'the monkey' by the locals because there was a large stuffed monkey or gorilla in the corner!

Does anyone have any memories to tell?

Does anyone remember the Pugh family of Parkwood road who frequented tho place?:)

The pub was the Victoria Hotel,

can't remember Pugh's but there were two lots on there in 1948 at 33 was Herbert, and at 61 was Mrs. Mary Elizabeth, in 1968 Herbert is still at 33,recognise a couple of his neighbours names, Wilcox and Young.

The pub was the Victoria Hotel,

can't remember Pugh's but there were two lots on there in 1948 at 33 was Herbert, and at 61 was Mrs. Mary Elizabeth, in 1968 Herbert is still at 33,recognise a couple of his neighbours names, Wilcox and Young.

I only knew it as 'the monkey'.

The pugh's you mention are my in-law family. Mary Elizabeth was my husbads Gran and Herbert was both her husband and her son 'Harry's' name. (my husbands uncle) He i the one at 33 and was known as 'Happy' for some reason!

Anyone remember a man who used to play the accordian in the steet (? sitting on his doorstep) on Parkwood Road, maybe in the 50's?

Hi Retep.

Were there any HOUGHTON's mentioned on Perkwood Road?

Also does anyone know if you can find out the names of the landlords of the victoria hotel about the late 1800's? Herbert pugh senior's father Isaac pugh had a pub called the victoria hotel at the time he died but I think it was in Attercliffe so is likely not the same one.

Hi Retep.

Were there any HOUGHTON's mentioned on Perkwood Road?

Also does anyone know if you can find out the names of the landlords of the victoria hotel about the late 1800's? Herbert pugh senior's father Isaac pugh had a pub called the victoria hotel at the time he died but I think it was in Attercliffe so is likely not the same one.

I always knew the Victoria Hotel as the Monkey,

Fred Houghton was at 61 Parkwood Road

1891 census has Vincent Broadbent as licenced victualler at the Victoria.

Looks like Isaac Pugh was at 20 Attercliffe Road listed as a beer retailer.

See also this thread

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=214712&highlight=monkey

Was down there the other day. It's now an office, called 'Monkey Works'.

Was down there the other day. It's now an office, called 'Monkey Works'.

nah, its a business called LA PLA, suppliers of hydraulic hoses and fittings.

nah, its a business called LA PLA, suppliers of hydraulic hoses and fittings.

Its still called the Monkey Works tho' :)

It was called the 'Monkey" because of a stuffed monkey in a case above the bar.

Apparently during the war a nearby bomb caused the case to fall on to the floor and smash. It was never replaced.

At the same time a passing Policeman was injured by the bomb and was carried in to the pub until medical attention could be called several hours later.

It's funny that you should start this thread at a time when I am starting to make a Neepsend page on my Pub website.

Old Neepsend Pubs

I am intending to go and take pictures of the pubs (and lost pub locations) during the next couple of weeks.

I will be especially appreciative of any genuine old photos which anyone has taken that are not copied from local history books. And any anacdotes which relate to these pubs..