Cubase and Home Studio Mixing

Guest Ant

Does anyone have experience with mixing and recording vocals? I have muddy mixes and need some advice over frequency bands, especially vocals.

• 2 years later...

i think you need to make the vocal as trebbly as possible to cut through.

someone once told me to think of mixing as a painting....your e.q. is your colours and textures. for each sound to cut through it need its own colour/ equalisation.:|

i strip everything down, start with kik, snare, add bass guitar, add middle if general sound muddy, add more, go back, trial and error, piddling about, paying by ear until you can hear everything.

also i try not to add anything unless it really adds anything, often it can take it away.

someone else told me "less is more":)

Now that's the kind of advice I was looking for.

My music mixes are pretty horrid full-frequency blobs of sound. Like a Phil Spector song in an echo chamber.

I wondered if there were set frequency ranges for specific instruments, so that I could clip each instrument to its own band before I even start recording, tweaking them a little at the final mix for the best sound.

as far as i know there's not, as everything depends on things like the mic, the distance from instrument, the mixing desk etc.

modern sound modules seem to handle all the eq for you, but start getting experimental and creative and your out in the world of decisions!

as far as i can tell, mixing is just trial and error....another piece of advice i got was if it sounds right, it is right.

i know what you mean about ending up with mud, though. whenever i've had that, and if hours of piddling doesn't de-mud, i've found the best solution is just to remove one or two tracks.

also effects, especially reverbs, add mud, unless you have a seperate track for reverb and give it its own extra-trebbly e.q.:|

btw i love your avatar!:)

Thanks for all that - very, very much appreciated.

The avatar looked better before I was forced to strip it down to fit into the forum's meagre memory allocation. :mad:

But ta anyway.

Hi Ant,

I have done tonnes of successful recording, first you need to, use decent microphones. You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Usually my first job with a band is getting a four track Loud live drumkit recording which I do on my roland at their rehersal room. Without "feel" you are wasting your time. I usually record male lead vocals on a sure Sm58, but if it is a deep Black voice I use my AKG D50

Later I transfer to cubase and all the other stuff too..

It is useful to record guitars in a loud room against a mix guide track on a digital portastudio and later it is easy to synch to the project in cubase. Guitars always sound better recorded through amps and "loud" if you can set up the amp and mic in a second room and have your portastudio in a different room then you can monitor the levels on your headphones and make sure it is not distorted or overdriven. Electric guitars recorded at bedroom volume or quiet levels always sound lifeless. Pro recording engineers go to extreme trouble with this, and sometimes use concrete blocks and polythene to improve the loud room reverb. If you are forced to record guitars in your house always use a tiled bathroom.

Archived