Crookesmoor parking permit zone

Er, sorry, it was you who mentioned the Labour Party in your first post on this subject.

The Council is a political entity, so it's to be expected that there is always some politics involved. Many of the Council's schemes and policies are responses to Central Government policy, so politics is usually in the background somewhere.

In this case, several years ago, the Council held a major consultation exercise in all the areas around the city centre regarding parking problems and the potential for residents parking schemes. Broomhall, Broomhill Crookesmoor and Sharrow Vale were the areas which had the most parking problems and had most support for residents parking. That's why they've been implemented first, nothing to do with any political considerations.

Sending you a letter informing you of proposals and asking for your comments is a form of consultation. You may think that they should do more, but it is consultation.

Area Panels are held regualrly throughout the year, you can always go to them and raise questions.

"so politics is usually in the background somewhere" "nothing to do with any political considerations"

Apart from the glaring contradiction, I'm afraid we are going to have to differ. I just cannot see how a letter through a letterbox can be called a consultation.

I am also intrigued to know if this scheme is sanctioned by the Labour Party nationally as they are the "central government"

Er, sorry, it was you who mentioned the Labour Party in your first post on this subject.

The Council is a political entity, so it's to be expected that there is always some politics involved. Many of the Council's schemes and policies are responses to Central Government policy, so politics is usually in the background somewhere.

In this case, several years ago, the Council held a major consultation exercise in all the areas around the city centre regarding parking problems and the potential for residents parking schemes. Broomhall, Broomhill Crookesmoor and Sharrow Vale were the areas which had the most parking problems and had most support for residents parking. That's why they've been implemented first, nothing to do with any political considerations.

Sending you a letter informing you of proposals and asking for your comments is a form of consultation. You may think that they should do more, but it is consultation.

Area Panels are held regualrly throughout the year, you can always go to them and raise questions.

"so politics is usually in the background somewhere" "nothing to do with any political considerations"

Apart from the glaring contradiction, I'm afraid we are going to have to differ. I just cannot see how a letter through a letterbox can be called a consultation.

I am also intrigued to know if this scheme is sanctioned by the Labour Party nationally as they are in effect the "central government"

wonder how much of the money raised goes towards the excessive pay awards to senior council employees...e.g Bob K on over 160K per year.

Council tax and stealth tax payers should see a benefit from the extra revenue i.e better roads in the areas affected by the parking scheme.

As I mentioned elsewhere, my and my brothers' business Herbert Fairey and Son Limited are moving out of the area. We've been in the region since the 1930s (that'll be grandad Herbert) and on Barber Road since the 1960s (that's the son, Trevor, my late father).

It'll be a shame (I used to live in a flat above DART many, many years ago).

I will watch to see how many others join me/us.

I'd hope, not many. But I'll probably be proven wrong:(

Well hotphil, it would put paid to match day parking in the borough

I don't think they're enforced at the weekends?

I thought one of the issues, certainly in Sharrow, was that althought the scheme's stated main aim is to be anti-commuter, it's still in force at weekends and puts shoppers off visiting businesses.

I wouldn't fancy a parking attendant's job near Hillsborough stadium if a scheme is ever introduced there and enforced at weekends. And there's no way an attendant could cover all the streets in the two hours or so that there is actually any issue.

I thought one of the issues, certainly in Sharrow, was that althought the scheme's stated main aim is to be anti-commuter, it's still in force at weekends and puts shoppers off visiting businesses.

I don't know (which is why I included a ?):D.

Wasn't the scheme operating time extended to cover Saturday at public request, due to match day problems?

So you know for a fact that it is putting shoppers off do you? Can you substantiate that?

Being able to actually find a parking space is probably going to draw people in, not put them off.

Wasn't the scheme operating time extended to cover Saturday at public request, due to match day problems?
I don't know.

So you know for a fact that it is putting shoppers off do you? Can you substantiate that?
There was a post on one of these threads by a businessman who said he'd seen trade drop.

Being able to actually find a parking space is probably going to draw people in, not put them off.
Assuming people don't mind time-limited bays and Pay & Display. I, for one, drive to places I can park for however long I like and for free rather than areas now restricted. I could will be outnumbered by those who know how long they need to park for and don't mind further paying to park.

There was a post on one of these threads by a businessman who said he'd seen trade drop.

That's the only person I have heard of complaining that the permit parking schemes have adversely affected their business. There are upteen businesses within the existing permit zones and I have seen and heard many positive comments from them about the difference the permit parking schemes have made. It's a shame that you choose to ignore them and pick up on the one negative comment.

It's also worth noting that the results of several independent pieces of research (one carried out on London Rd in Sheffield) suggest that retailers massively overestimate the number of their customers who come by car.

At the times I went down Ecclesall Rd to shop (usually Saturdays) I never had any trouble finding a space for an hour or two. Similarly I never had any problem in Broomhill either. Since the restrictions have been in place I haven't been to shop in either of these places.

At the times I went down Ecclesall Rd to shop (usually Saturdays) I never had any trouble finding a space for an hour or two. Similarly I never had any problem in Broomhill either. Since the restrictions have been in place I haven't been to shop in either of these places.

I used to get complaints from traders on Ecclesall Road that other traders and their staff, as well as commuters, hogged the parking spaces near their premises. The scheme should limit that and create a lot more turnover of parking spaces, which can only be good for businesses and their customers.

I visit Broomhill quite a lot and always had difficulty parking anywhere near where I wanted to go, it has certainly been better since the scheme has been introduced, and lots of other people have said the same to me.

There may be some people who object to paying 20p per hour, but this may well be balanced out by others who are attracted because they can now actually find somewhere to park.