Crookesmoor parking permit zone

Council resources are limited it will probably take about a year to do the surveys, consultation and design work for an area like Highfield, so you might not expect implementation to be till 2009/10 financial year.

Groan

Through no fault of my own the Sharrow scheme is causing me a huge hassle

This looks like I am not going to even be considered till 2010/2011 does it?

Do we have an election before then?

Deepak

I think that this is one which is being paid for by contributions from a Developer.

Other than this, as I understand it, there has been no firm decision on which area gets residents parking next. Highfield would seem the next logical section of the Peripheral Parking Zone, but I know the Council want to look at residents parking in areas like District Shopping Centres, with Hillsborough prominent on the list of potential locations.

Council resources are limited it will probably take about a year to do the surveys, consultation and design work for an area like Highfield, so you might not expect implementation to be till 2009/10 financial year.

Hmmm, Hillsborough is now on the periphery of the city...

Nice to see that the council is applying the same rules to all schemes... NOT

"it is considered that the scheme could be altered to Monday to Friday operation only"

"5.8 It is therefore recommended that residents and businesses be able to apply for 2 permits per property from the outset."

"5.9 A number of residents on Commonside, School Road, and Rosa Road and The Nook have indicated that they do not suffer from a parking problem at the present time. Little support was received from residents of these roads, and as such it is difficult to make a recommendation on this part of the scheme" - So why not exclude it?

Another nice little earner..." initial calculations have shown that the revenue from the Crookesmoor scheme could be in the region of £165,000"

So why can't we have the first permit for free?????

The Council report on consultation for the Crookesmoor scheme is on their website now: http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/parking/permit-parking/crookesmoor-permit-parking-scheme

It seems that contrary to what Litotes might think, there is quite a high level of support for residents parking in Crookesmoor

"A total of 146 responses were received, comprising 48 letters of support, 1 petition of support (20 signatures), 60 objections, and 37 general comments. 119 responses were received from residents within the study area, with 27 coming from people who live elsewhere."

1000 leaftets dropped and only 49 items of support... and 60 objections... hmmmm.

Planner1 - you could say "there is quite a high level of objection to the scheme" too.

Come on now, you know how it works - the other 854 properties were obviously wholly in favour of the scheme otherwise they would have objected.

So Planner 1, exactly how does Hillsborough come to fall into the PPZ? Or is it just that the council is determined to finish it off once and for all?

I don't think it really matters tbh... they don't patrol the already 'zoned' areas as it is!

When I can't park outside my own house for illiterate/ignorant people who can't/won't read the sign are parked outside, I have to phone up parking services who say 'oh we'll send someone'

Erm... shouldn't that be happening anyway?!

I'm fairly frequently ringing 101 at the moment because of people parking on both sides of the top end of School Road and blocking our driveway so I can't get the bloody car out.

If they make half of school road part of the scheme, but not the top half it's just gonna get worse. GRR.

I moved from Broomhill partly to get away from these ill thought-out revenue-raising schemes. I hope I don't have to move from Hillsborough too. If one's formerly suggested for the area, myself, my income, my tax and my spending will be off to Leeds.

Come on now, you know how it works - the other 854 properties were obviously wholly in favour of the scheme otherwise they would have objected.

So Planner 1, exactly how does Hillsborough come to fall into the PPZ? Or is it just that the council is determined to finish it off once and for all?

It isn't in the PPZ. As I said in the original post, the Council are looking at residents parking schemes for other areas which have parking related issues, like district shopping centres. This is in response to public requests. When I was at the Council I used to get quite a few people from Hillsborough asking for residents a parking scheme because they are not happy with the amount of shoppers / workers parking in their street.

The schemes seem to be increasingly referred to as "residents parking schemes". I thought the main point of them was to reduce commuter parking? The needs of the residents in affected areas seem to be very much a secondary or tertiary thought - surely a better name would be "anti-commuter, available-space-reducing, Pay & Display adding, annual fee-charging scheme"?

Nice to see that the council is applying the same rules to all schemes... NOT

"it is considered that the scheme could be altered to Monday to Friday operation only"

"5.8 It is therefore recommended that residents and businesses be able to apply for 2 permits per property from the outset."

"5.9 A number of residents on Commonside, School Road, and Rosa Road and The Nook have indicated that they do not suffer from a parking problem at the present time. Little support was received from residents of these roads, and as such it is difficult to make a recommendation on this part of the scheme" - So why not exclude it?

Another nice little earner..." initial calculations have shown that the revenue from the Crookesmoor scheme could be in the region of £165,000"

So why can't we have the first permit for free?????

They can't pelase you can they?

They've learned from previous experience, listened to local opinion, done lots of survey work so they know what the parking demand actually is and have made changes to the scheme to reflect the concerns people have expressed. They're also reconsulting in the areas which show little support (sounds similar to the Hunters Bar opt-out) What more do you want?

If you want free permits, you're going to have to discuss it with your Councillors and get them on your side. They are the ones who take the decisions at the end of the day. They made a decision several years ago that there would be a fee charged for permits. That decision was re-affirmed when they increased the fee by £1 a while back

A total of 22 people from Crookesmoor queried paying for permits, not a lot from around a thousand leaflets distributed. There doesn't seem to be a huge groundswell of opinion against permit fees and it seems it would need something like that to change the views that matter.

The schemes seem to be increasingly referred to as "residents parking schemes". I thought the main point of them was to reduce commuter parking? The needs of the residents in affected areas seem to be very much a secondary or tertiary thought - surely a better name would be "anti-commuter, available-space-reducing, Pay & Display adding, annual fee-charging scheme"?

Your title isn't exactly snappy! Residents parking scheme does sound better.

This is an area where Council policies and residents demands come together. The Council have a policy of managing demand for roadspace by restricting the supply of free, all day parking around the city centre. Residents in those areas have been asking for many years for residents parking schemes. The policy need and public demands can be satisfied by a residents parking scheme.