Crookesmoor parking permit zone

Any idea when the council will respond to the CONsultation?

I'll find out.

I think you'll find that there is perhaps a much higher level of support for a permit scheme in Crookesmoor than there was in Sahrrow Vale.

Sounds like they may report to the Area Planning and Highways Board in December.

I think you'll find that there is perhaps a much higher level of support for a permit scheme in Crookesmoor than there was in Sahrrow Vale.

My personal experience of the scheme in Sharrow Vale was that the residents were in favour of the scheme as initially put forward to them. It was the subsequent changes that were made without consultation and the poor implementation. What the planners need to get right is having everything properly in place on the day the scheme goes live. They can't just make it up as they go along.

There is also the ethical issue that certain large organisations in or ajacent to the Crookesmoor scheme have just as much right to access the scheme as residents do. A certain school elsewhere in Sheffield, having been given parking permits, has now set a precedent.

Now the consultation has closed, how many people actually expressed a view to the council?

If you sign a petition for or against the scheme then you may think that you have voiced your opinion. 9 petitions against the Sharrow Vale scheme were submitted but were almost entirely ignored during the decision making process. I can only find one brief mention of them in the report and it does not say how many signatures were received.

The planner responsible for the Sharrow Vale scheme has told us on this forum that he has no idea how many signatures were received.

You can also expect that all houses that have not written a personal letter to the council will be counted as being in support of the scheme. The Sharrow Vale consultation was done at time when a significant percentage of student houses were empty -- empty houses were deemed to be in favour of the scheme.

Given the experience of Sharrow Vale, where most residents are against the scheme but signed petitions, did not reply or were not present at the time, but the scheme was reported as only 3% against, you can expect the Crookesmoor scheme to be reported as being wildly popular - full steam ahead.

The council has already decided to go ahead. The consultation is only about the fine detail.

I hope that's useful info.

Everyone that I have spoken to (OK, unlikely to be a representative sample) is in favour of the Crookesmoor scheme. The council have been quite good at answering questions (perhaps having learned from past mistakes) and this has helped.

As I understand it, the Council have been quite accommodating to the needs of businesses in other schemes, so you may do better than you think.

I have to say that during my time at the Council there was always a steady stream of communicatins from people in Crookesmoor asking for residents parking. The surveys done a few years ago showed a clear majority in favour in that area.

As you've seen in Sharrow Vale, if a distinct part of an area doesn't want the scheme, they get the chance to opt out, so perhaps the outcome of consultations will back up your view, perhaps not, let's see.

and perhaps come the next election, this council might wish they'd listened to people.

My personal experience of the scheme in Sharrow Vale was that the residents were in favour of the scheme as initially put forward to them. It was the subsequent changes that were made without consultation and the poor implementation. What the planners need to get right is having everything properly in place on the day the scheme goes live. They can't just make it up as they go along.

There is also the ethical issue that certain large organisations in or ajacent to the Crookesmoor scheme have just as much right to access the scheme as residents do. A certain school elsewhere in Sheffield, having been given parking permits, has now set a precedent.

The school hasn't set a precedent. Businesses and organisations within permit parking schemes have always been able to apply for permits and those who agree to enter into the travel planning process can obtain an initially higher number of permits (which usually reduces over time). Other organisations have taken advantage of this facility.

If you sign a petition for or against the scheme then you may think that you have voiced your opinion. 9 petitions against the Sharrow Vale scheme were submitted but were almost entirely ignored during the decision making process. I can only find one brief mention of them in the report and it does not say how many signatures were received.

The planner responsible for the Sharrow Vale scheme has told us on this forum that he has no idea how many signatures were received.

You can also expect that all houses that have not written a personal letter to the council will be counted as being in support of the scheme. The Sharrow Vale consultation was done at time when a significant percentage of student houses were empty -- empty houses were deemed to be in favour of the scheme.

Given the experience of Sharrow Vale, where most residents are against the scheme but signed petitions, did not reply or were not present at the time, but the scheme was reported as only 3% against, you can expect the Crookesmoor scheme to be reported as being wildly popular - full steam ahead.

The council has already decided to go ahead. The consultation is only about the fine detail.

I hope that's useful info.

No it isn't useful, because you're not stating the full facts. I WAS the planner responsible for residents parking schemes in Sheffied. I left the Council in September 06, before the outcomes of the Sharow Vale consultation were reported. That is why I don't know what was in those petitions.

The Council has never said that it trats non response as acceptance. That is my personal view. I believe that if people do not respond, it is a legitimate argument that they are content for the proposals to proceed.

However, when the outcomes of consultation exercises are reported, only the comments and objections received are discussed. It is left to the Councillors to draw their own conclusions from the contributions that local people have made. If people take the trouble to view the Sharrow Vale report on the Council's website, they will see that this is the case.

To say that empty houses were deemed to be in favour of the scheme is complete rubbish, no comment was made in the report regarding how non-responses should be interpreted. You clearly haven't read the report. See: http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/index.asp?pgid=97761

You also state that in Sharrow Vale, most people are against the scheme. I don't believe that this is true. Where is your evidence? I've met plenty of people in Sharrow Vale who fully support the scheme.

The problem with areas which have a high proportion of students' flats is that when they bring a car to Uni, they rarely use it as the colleges are usually within easy walking distance and of course the sensible ones don't drive when they are going out for a drink. The only time they use the car is to go back home at the end of term. Instead the cars are left parked for the whole term, taking up valuable kerb space. In any event those in shared houses will not all get a permit because of the allocation criteria. Crookesmoor Road is a nightmare to drive up and down at present. There is simply not enough room for two lanes of traffic whilst cars are parked on both sides of the road. And let's be fair - roads are primarily for driving on - not for parking on, so to let the traffic flow (including buses), some of the parking needs to be reduced.

I quite agree with this post, although I live at Crookes, and we don't have parking zones, we can't get parked anywhere near our house. Students bring their cars at the beginning of term and very rarely use them, at this present time a car has been parked outside our house for 4 weeks, and has never moved.

The university ought to bring in the same rules that Oxford and Cambridge do and stipulate that students should not bring their vehicles when coming to University, they don't need them and they don't use them.

The university ought to bring in the same rules that Oxford and Cambridge do and stipulate that students should not bring their vehicles when coming to University, they don't need them and they don't use them.

The pertinent question here is how exactly would the University enforce such a policy? The cars are parked lawfully on a public highway and the university will not be able to find out keeper details.

The uni have a very strict policy on parking on campus and only allow those with a proven need to park there. They do as much as they can.

I asked them about the Oxford and Cambridge thing and they have never heard of it.

The pertinent question here is how exactly would the University enforce such a policy? The cars are parked lawfully on a public highway and the university will not be able to find out keeper details.

The uni have a very strict policy on parking on campus and only allow those with a proven need to park there. They do as much as they can.

I asked them about the Oxford and Cambridge thing and they have never heard of it.

:confused: Sorry about that planner, it must have been heresay, my sons friend went to Oxford, and he told me he was told not to take his car.