Crookesmoor parking permit zone

We are next in line for a 'PPZ'. I have requested clarification of a few points from the council but perhaps those who have already been 'zoned' can provide quicker answers:

1. Can householders park their own cars on the single yellow lines painted across the access to their own driveways during the day? If not, then two-car households, who presently park one car across their own driveways, will have to fill a parking space elsewhere, which seems wasteful.

2. Do student or other multi-occupancy houses count as single households (therefore getting 1 permit) or does each resident get their own permit (8 per house)? This could limit the usefulness of the scheme during those years when some houses seem to produce 4 or more cars.

3. There are two potential new apartment schemes being built within the zone (the old glass training place on Northumberland and the soon-to-be-vacated Law Department on Conduit Road). The first is definite, with permission for (I believe) 150 residents. These schemes never provide sufficient parking: will these residents also get parking permits, thus flooding the new PPZ shortly after being built?

Finally, what do other Crookesmoor residents think about this scheme?

I hadn't heard about this. Will it be the whole of Crookesmoor? Do we have to pay for permits? I'm fed up of the way people park round here - some people even use the junction markings as an extention of the pavement and park along them, forcing cars into incoming traffic to get past. I don't know if this will help with that. I won't be happy if student housholds get a permit per resident. My street is mostly student houses and I'd end up with nowhere to park.

Does permit parking affect house prices?

We are next in line for a 'PPZ'. I have requested clarification of a few points from the council but perhaps those who have already been 'zoned' can provide quicker answers:

1. Can householders park their own cars on the single yellow lines painted across the access to their own driveways during the day? If not, then two-car households, who presently park one car across their own driveways, will have to fill a parking space elsewhere, which seems wasteful.

2. Do student or other multi-occupancy houses count as single households (therefore getting 1 permit) or does each resident get their own permit (8 per house)? This could limit the usefulness of the scheme during those years when some houses seem to produce 4 or more cars.

3. There are two potential new apartment schemes being built within the zone (the old glass training place on Northumberland and the soon-to-be-vacated Law Department on Conduit Road). The first is definite, with permission for (I believe) 150 residents. These schemes never provide sufficient parking: will these residents also get parking permits, thus flooding the new PPZ shortly after being built?

Finally, what do other Crookesmoor residents think about this scheme?

Single yellow lines mean no parking during the working day. Typically 08.00-18.30. You would be able to park on it overnight and at the weekend. If you have a problem with the single yellow, you can ask them to leave it out or put an H marking instead, which has no legal status.

Multiple occupancy houses get 1 permit, same as you. To qualify for a permit each, they would have to be separate apartments with no shared facilities.

New apartments are often specifically excluded from residents parking schemes as part of the planning consent. You will need to check with the Council about the ones you mention.

Goodness me, not more parking schemes.

Why can't the permits be free? or is that a silly question.

Surely if its not about raising extra revenue, then these schemes should be free and parking restricted to the people who live in the affected zones.

I hadn't heard about this. Will it be the whole of Crookesmoor? Do we have to pay for permits? I'm fed up of the way people park round here - some people even use the junction markings as an extention of the pavement and park along them, forcing cars into incoming traffic to get past. I don't know if this will help with that. I won't be happy if student housholds get a permit per resident. My street is mostly student houses and I'd end up with nowhere to park.

Does permit parking affect house prices?

If you want to see what area is covered, go to: http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/parking/permit-parking/crookesmoor-permit-parking-scheme

The permit parking scheme will regulate the parking into bays and places where it's dangerous to park, like at junctions are covered by waiting restrictions. The permit zones are patrolled by the Council's parking attendants, so you can be sure that people who park illegally will be ticketed.

Permits are allocated on a per household basis. A household has to have completely separate facilities from the others in a building (ie a separate apartment) a shared house gets the same allocation as any other house.

Estate Agents often mention a permit parking zone as a selling point in their ads, so I'd say that it should enhance the saleability of your property.

Why can't the permits be free? or is that a silly question.

Surely if its not about raising extra revenue, then these schemes should be free and parking restricted to the people who live in the affected zones.

The Council's reasoning is that this is an extra service that they don't have any statutory requirement to provide. It must therefore be self financing. Residents permits were about £36 per annum last time I looked. Crookesmoor residents have been asking for a scheme for years.

The Councils plan is to encircle the city centre with permit parking zones, to reduce the amount of free all-day parking available to commuters, thereby encouraging more people to use sustainable modes of transport and cutting congestion.

Multiple occupancy houses get 1 permit, same as you. To qualify for a permit each, they would have to be separate apartments with no shared facilities.

New apartments are often specifically excluded from residents parking schemes as part of the planning consent. You will need to check with the Council about the ones you mention.

A scheme for residents is a good thing if fairly implemented at cost price.

But what seems unfair is how it is decided which member of a household gets the permit. If tax paying adults all live at same address, and each have a car, why should they not get one.

And seems fairly bizarre that apartments which will not be new forever will have owners/ tenants who are denied parking rights available to others.

The Councils plan is to encircle the city centre with permit parking zones, to reduce the amount of free all-day parking available to commuters, thereby encouraging more people to use sustainable modes of transport and cutting congestion.

Oh bugger me not that one again, getting motorists onto public transport.

ITS SLOW AND EXPENSIVE !!!!!!

Why not create cycle lanes for people to use, now thats the only true green form of transport. If people are making many short journeys (ie under 5 miles), then surely, a good cycle network would

1) reduce congestion (even if only 10% of sheffield population used it)

2) reduce pollution

Why is our only other option the bus?

Oh bugger me not that one again, getting motorists onto public transport.

ITS SLOW AND EXPENSIVE !!!!!!

Why not create cycle lanes for people to use, now thats the only true green form of transport. If people are making many short journeys (ie under 5 miles), then surely, a good cycle network would

1) reduce congestion (even if only 10% of sheffield population used it)

2) reduce pollution

Why is our only other option the bus?

The Council do try to put cycle lanes in wherever they can, but it's not as simple as you think.

Where exactly would you put them?

There are other options, you could walk!

A scheme for residents is a good thing if fairly implemented at cost price.

But what seems unfair is how it is decided which member of a household gets the permit. If tax paying adults all live at same address, and each have a car, why should they not get one.

And seems fairly bizarre that apartments which will not be new forever will have owners/ tenants who are denied parking rights available to others.

It's up to the people who share the household to decide who gets the permit, the Council don't decide that. The houses in multiple occupancy are often cited by other residents as one of the prime causes of parking problems. Just think about it, many are in terraced housing, where there is only space for one car outside each house, but where they are in multiple occupancy there could be four or five people with a car at each house. That's going to cause problems.

At many public meetings about parking schemes that I've been to, the more "conventional" residents were demanding that multiple occupancy houses shouldn't get ANY permits.

Some flats are only given planning consent BECAUSE of the fact that there is going to be a permit parking scheme, they won't get permits and therefore the development will have no parking impact. Parking impact is frequently cited in objections to planning applications.

Because it's a planning condition that the flats have no right to apply for residents parking permits, you can only apply it to new developments, you can't apply planning conditions retrospectively.