Do you remember how mucky Sheffield was before the clean air act?

When I got my first car in'64 i remember driving slowly down Ravencar Rd on the Manor and not being able to see anything past the bonnet, straight across Prince of Wales Rd and found myself in someone's hedge!

First time we went down to the south coast and my mum was amazed to see washing left on the line all night :hihi:

I remember the fogs...going to the Gaumont on evening ..it was even foggy inside..and driving down the BAWTRY ROAD IN Rotherham with the car door open so I could see the white line...I was young and foolish then back in the 60s lol

Yes, you got no relief from the pollution when you went to the pictures back then because most people smoked in there. Looking at the black and white picture on the screen through columns of white cigarette smoke. I used to be a partaker myself. Those were the day, my friend.

The only building I remember looking relatavely clean was the City Hall. I don't know when it was built but it wasn't too bad. I suppose it would depend on the type of building stone used. Long may it remain.

I lived on penistone neer hillfoot bridge from 1940 foundry next door but one easterbrooks opposite d .doncasters just up rooad gas works rlling mills at neepsend power station round watterside never saw bottom of our street till shutdown fortneet I.m 73 stillgot my own teeth most of my hair never been in hospital 5/t 5 11stone midget fit as a fart not like the 6/ft young giro brigade lazey puffs we are breeding now god help us all

I remember watching the smog roll up from Ecclesall Rd on to the playing field in front of King Ted's school and being sent home at 3pm. in 1953.Later that evening I earned 30 shillings guiding cars in the Nether Edge area on my bke. The driver could follow my back light,but not see the edge of the road.That night you could stand under a streetlight (gas) and not know whether it was lit or not.

I lived on penistone neer hillfoot bridge from 1940 foundry next door but one easterbrooks opposite d .doncasters just up rooad gas works rlling mills at neepsend power station round watterside never saw bottom of our street till shutdown fortneet I.m 73 stillgot my own teeth most of my hair never been in hospital 5/t 5 11stone midget fit as a fart not like the 6/ft young giro brigade lazey puffs we are breeding now god help us all

Allthatweeahtabreath, tha must be fit. :hihi::hihi:

Im amazed the Germans EVER found Sheffield in the Blitz, me grandad used to have problems finding his way home in the smog.

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

next time am in sheffield my old son al stop by and tek thee out for dinner:hihi:

next time am in sheffield my old son al stop by and tek thee out for dinner:hihi:

Nice to see love blossoming on the forum.

One good thing about all the muck and pollution was that the Sulphur in the air prevented mildew on the Roses.

One good thing about all the muck and pollution was that the Sulphur in the air prevented mildew on the Roses.

An it dint stop sparrers breedin, what have we done wrong.