What are your favourite Sheffieldisms?

If you mean "he's gone for a Burton" that's an advertising phrase promoting Burton ales.

"It is said that there was a series of advertisements for beer in the inter-war years, each of which featured a group of people with one obviously missing (a football team with a gap in the line-up, a dinner party with one chair empty). The tagline suggested the missing person had just popped out for a beer — had gone for a Burton. The slogan was then taken up by RAF pilots for one of their number missing in action as a typical example of wartime sick humour."

you've just looked that up on the internet.

the sheffield interpretation of ''Burton'' means to have a fall of some kind... '' he's gone for a reyt burton'' thats how we define it in Sheffield!

I remember it being used in connection with any kind of mishap. If something was broken or bust - it'd 'gone for a burton'. I suppose there's kind of link with someone having fallen over. Could that be when the were 'wob eyed' (drunk!).

What about that one - 'wob eyed'?. Anyone else heard that?. I'm still really curious to know what a 'burton' is though:)!!.

Sorry, tell a lie, never heard breadcake anywhere else. Never understood it either, how can bread be a cake..... don't get that one.

I have only heard Bread Cake and Gennel used in Sheffield and I get about a bit with work. Othere terms mentioned in this thread I have heard used elsewhere. My father used to say that's gone for a burton a lot. I think nowadays people just say it's F*****d. Which is why the older sayings are being forgotten.

How about..

Mon't = might not (like won't, will not)

Flit = to relocate one's residence

[quote=Mathom;2495670

The best ever Sheffieldism is Spice for sweeties - I like this so much I use it all the time now. 'Love' is also good, especially watching the insulted faces of posh southerners when the bus driver goes "narr then, love".

Having spent a lot of time in London/south this makes me laugh as working class southerners have always said "love" too I know my inlaws say it for instance ...the difference is you'd never get one man saying it to another and to be honest that male to male habit is more or less confined to the over 60s up here now anyway...problem is the only southerners a lot of people on here ever meet are posh students

having parts of my family in both areas I think that gives you a good idea of whats said in Sheffield/Yorkshire only and in the south east (not posh people in south east though obviously )...i wont say the south per se as i havent lived there and the south west is further away from London than Sheffield

ones i can think of off the top of my head include (sheffield word first)

"over your end" ...in your part of town

"breadcake" ...roll etc

"buns"....cakes

6 weeks holiday...Summer holiday

"You're allright" as in if someone asks you if you want some help...the inlaws would say "I'm all right"

"binman/bin lorry"...dustman/dustcart

"is it not"...isnt it?

"pots"...saucepans

"brush"....broom

"pot"....plaster

"roaring"....crying

"cig" more common than fag

"face on"..."dog on"

i would have said "nesh" once too but ive just seen it in a Thomas Hardy book as Dorset dialect too...they also say thee in the book too etc but to be honest thee will be extinct in yorkshire pretty soon too

I don't think it's a Sheffield or even a Yorkshire term exclusively, but one I love is "books" for magazines or catalogues. This has to be pronounced "booook" though, as a "buck" is a 'proper' book with a spine and long words in it ;) So you might say "Where's me Argos booook?" whereas in contrast you would say "Oh have you read that new Will Self buck?"

Another one I thought Yorkshire folk never used was "trankelments" - I thought it was a Lancashire word until I heard someone born and bred in Rotherham using it and I was delighted. "Trankelments" simply meaning "stuff" as in "I'll only be a minute, I'll just put me trankelments in me bag" ;)

Could be me just talkng lazy, but when I went on holiday I was picked up for missing "the" out of sentences, as in "im gonna shop" "or he lives down road"

you've just looked that up on the internet.

the sheffield interpretation of ''Burton'' means to have a fall of some kind... '' he's gone for a reyt burton'' thats how we define it in Sheffield!

I did get the definition from the web but it's as the phrase is used where I'm from .. Donny.

Nah Then Thee Wot Tha Doin........Guaranteed no one out of Yorkshire will Understand it

Ey Up Sithe...............Ditto

I like 'while' as well. But 'nesh' simply means 'cold' round here but I know it as meaning 'soft' or 'cowardly' so I can get away with insulting folk.... And I have to laugh at the whole jennel/ginnel thing - it's ginnel to me. And crumpets and pikelets are two different things.

Ginnel, gennel, snicket????

Its alley or cut to me lol. I hadn't heard of these before moving here.

Highlander beat me to it, but cakes, ie fairy cakes being called buns is the funniest. If its anyones birthday at my place of work, they have to bring buns in, but buns to me are bread rolls like sandwiches.

Argh! Buns! I still can't get my head round that one! A bun to me is specifically a sweet bun, like an iced or currant bun. But a fairy cake is a fairy cake and a breadcake is a barm cake ;)

Scone to me is pronounced Skon and not Skohn. That still creases me up - it's as though everyone suddenly has the urge to 'talk posh' when asking for a scone "Eeeh are kid, I'll have a skohn an' some of that theer caviar" ;)

And a 'cut' to me is a canal!