Help us clean up London Road

they aren't there today, perhaps they are all attending a special event somewhere!

Guest Mod_Man

Its all well and good wanting to get rid of the "riff raff" from outside your pub but they will only move on to one of the nearby estates (usually mine). I find it strange that the purveyor of alcohol is worried about alcoholics (amongst other things) standing outside his premises, you sell the drug yet you don't like the negative effects of such a drug being on your doorstep. The football season is starting again soon, how will you be handling the drunken football fans that will likely be standing outside the Cremorne and other pubs? These large gangs can be intimidating to users of London Road just as much, if not more than the people that sit outside the pharmacy.

Its all well and good wanting to get rid of the "riff raff" from outside your pub but they will only move on to one of the nearby estates (usually mine). I find it strange that the purveyor of alcohol is worried about alcoholics (amongst other things) standing outside his premises, you sell the drug yet you don't like the negative effects of such a drug being on your doorstep. The football season is starting again soon, how will you be handling the drunken football fans that will likely be standing outside the Cremorne and other pubs? These large gangs can be intimidating to users of London Road just as much, if not more than the people that sit outside the pharmacy.

i stand outside the pubs on london road on match days with my 2 daughters, my brother, his wife their grankids

several friends most with their kids aged 5 to 16 all in all about 30 of us. never thought of us as as intimidating. and on a match day london road is snided with police so whats intimidating.

I would rather walk past a load of football fans on London Road, than pass the drunks on the benches.

I and my children once passed the drunks and they were really offensive to my kids and started swearing at them, we were only on our way to the chemist.

I find it strange that the purveyor of alcohol is worried about alcoholics (amongst other things) standing outside his premises, you sell the drug yet you don't like the negative effects of such a drug being on your doorstep.

You haven't been paying attention MM. ;)

It is the pharmacy that is the honeypot for these people, not the pub. It's fairly clear that these people are not customers of the Cremorne, and the OP is not guilty of selling alcohol irresponsibly. There is a world of difference between a sociable pint and advanced substance abuse (be it alcohol or anything else).

Guest Mod_Man
i stand outside the pubs on london road on match days with my 2 daughters, my brother, his wife their grankids

several friends most with their kids aged 5 to 16 all in all about 30 of us. never thought of us as as intimidating. and on a match day london road is snided with police so whats intimidating.

I said " These large gangs can be intimidating to users of London Road just as much, if not more than the people that sit outside the pharmacy." I didn't say I get intimidated. You may be a responsible football fan but you can't say all football fans are responsible. I live just off London Road and I must say that 99% of the time the football fans are well behaved, I can also say that 99% of the time the drunks on the corner are pretty well behaved from what I have seen. Don't the police say they can't move them on because they have done nothing wrong? I'm neither for nor against the "drunks", I just find it a bit hypocritical of a landlord who would happily take money from these people wants them brushed aside because their pub is losing custom. If you don't like what the drug does then don't sell it.

Guest Mod_Man
I would rather walk past a load of football fans on London Road, than pass the drunks on the benches.

I and my children once passed the drunks and they were really offensive to my kids and started swearing at them, we were only on our way to the chemist.

Did you report this to the Police?

Did you report this to the Police?

Yes I did, they said they would go and have a word with them but that's the last I heard. They are still there so it didn't do much good did it? :(

Been in the other day, seems ok to me.

:hihi::rolleyes: sorry wrong thread, Good luck

Ok - thanks ModMan, it seems I was wrong to start this thread and petition as I, as a purveyor of alcohol, must also be contributing to the state of the things that lurk outside my pub. Come on man, we dont sell Super Ace 8% cider. I'm trying to do something about a problem that has been here for a long time and that most people are sick of seeing. What on earth makes you think that I would have these people in my pub?

Re: Football fans - these people are in the pub before (and sometimes after) the home matches which, believe it or not, don't happen everyday. They turn up (often with families in tow) to have a drink before watching their beloved team and cause no problems. The drunks outside the pub are there everyday ultimately costing not only me, but some of the other local businesses, money. I, for one, would not fancy going into a pub if that was the scene by the front doors.

I'm undecided as to whether you are playing devils advocate or just trying to wind people up.

Well said Mod Man! A publican (in essence, a dealer who sells the most pernicious and endemic drug in our society) complaining about drunks on the doorstep is one of the most ridiculous and hypocritical things I've ever heard.

Most of the street drinkers are harmless wretches, I say leave them alone and direct your witch hunt towards more deserving targets.