Buying & selling a house ! how long ?

We got our keys on Friday and considering the chain only consisted of us, the people we were buying off and the people they were buying off, it shouldnt have taken since the middle of april! But these things do.

I would advise ringing your solicitor regularly but it depends on your solicitor- dont think it helped, us doing that!

Good luck!

thanks for all your comments and advise ! I will try to keep you posted on how long it takes !

clare :wave:x

Mine took 5 weeks from deciding that I wanted to buy to completion (and that included Christmas and New Year- completion and moving was on 2nd January).

I went to the solicitors on the day after I'd made the original offer and told him the day I was going to move in so that he'd have something to aim for. Basically, if we hadn't moved on that day then the people I was buying off would have needed a bridging loan, and I would have needed somewhere else to move to since my tenancy on my rented place was due to run out a couple of days later. So we both went to solicitors and told them how it was going to work, and we just made sure that any issues were sorted between both parties as soon as they came up.

We ended up contacting the council of liscienses conveyancers about our solicitors after they continually took the mick. 6 months after we moved in the purchase had not been registered with the land registry. CLC sorted that out very quickly.

Hello all !

We are just in the process of moving, selling our house and buying another , we are lucky coz we have no chain either end , we have a first time buyer buying ours and the house we are buying is already empty !

Sooo nice people..... im intrested if anyone out there can give me their stories on moving and the time it takes when left in the hands of solicitors ??

Clare :wave:x

Can be done quickly, it depends on the solicitors and if mortgages are involved how quick the lenders are.

we are on week two now and Ive been told by my solicitor that the searches are in process and the survey on my house is being done this thursday the lady buying my house is using the same group of solicitors as me (we was told this may help to keep the time down) and we have both told our solicitors that we need completion by 31st aug ......this is the date the lady im buying off has requested ..... so fingers crossed ! :confused:

If everyone is on the ball a piece of cake to complete in that time.

well just thought I'd update you all on my above move ........NIGHTMARE !!!!:cry: ....... we are still nowhere near moving ....... there as been delays on both sides ....... the person buying mine went away for two weeks and we had to wait for them to come back to look at the survey ....... 4 weeks later shes still looking at it ......... then we had to have a full structual survey done on the house we are buying and the surveyor still has'nt given the report to our morgage company .......and on the top of all this I've had shingles :gag:........ it not fun this moving house game ! I DONT LIKE IT !! :rant:

Clare :wave:x

Latest figures from LMS:

The average number of days between notification of sale and exchange of contracts in Q2 2007 = 53

i have read your replies the most important thing is not the solicitor but the agent your selling thro' give them the kicking, you are paying them good money not just to sell it but make sure it goes thro' to exchange.... who you using

guess what !!!!! ............... yup ! you got it............... I still aint moved yet ! :cry:

i have read your replies the most important thing is not the solicitor but the agent your selling thro' give them the kicking, you are paying them good money not just to sell it but make sure it goes thro' to exchange.... who you using

we are using winkworths ....... but the trouble is with the end we are buying from not with the house im selling it seems ! :(