Penistone Farmer's market

Can anyone tell me anything about this at all? Is it a large Farmer's Market? Is it worth traveling too from the other side of Sheffield? Is it busy? etc.

The Farmer's Market has about 10 stalls. Sausages, interesting beef, cakes, pies and trendy home made toiletries. Not as big a market as the Sheffield one.

I've heard it is not bad considering the size of the town. It will not be a big as the Sheffield one as Penistone is under Barnsley Council Authority so they may organise these things differently to Sheffield Council. Nice area though with a huge park in the valley if you have kids and its sunny and they become bored.

I believe it is held every Thursday morning. Its a 'proper' market so it starts early in the morning, and is mainly produce from local farms. There is a great atmosphere and it is worth supporting the local farming community.

Another market I can recommend is the farmers market at Wentworth Garden Centre. It is held every second sunday of the month. Loads of stuff there, including three different stalls dedicated to honey!

I believe it is held every Thursday morning. Its a 'proper' market so it starts early in the morning, and is mainly produce from local farms. There is a great atmosphere and it is worth supporting the local farming community.

Another market I can recommend is the farmers market at Wentworth Garden Centre. It is held every second sunday of the month. Loads of stuff there, including three different stalls dedicated to honey!

Where's the Wentworth Garden Centre and how do you get there by public transport?

Wentworth Garden centre is at the Rotherham end of Village and the bus stop is The Rockingham Arms.

227 Stagecoach Yorkshire bus from Rotherham bus station going to Hoyland centre at 30mins past the hour every hour.

227 Stagecoach Yorkshire bus from hoyland centre going to Rotherham (I think about on the hour) every hour.

M44 Stagecoach Yorkshire from Chapeltown/Rotherham (only two a day).

The 227 connects with the 66 Barnsley to Elsecar busses and through tickets can be obtained. 66 is every 10 mins.

You can also get a £4 Stagecoach South/West Yorkshire dayrider but can only purchase this on Barnsley depot based vechiles and not Sheffield based vechiles.

thanks for all the info. when I've got a spare day, might follow it up.

if you like gardening this is the place to go, lots of plants auctioned off and very,very cheap! :D

Hi,

I'm doing a history project on Penistone and the surrounding area and would love a picture of the old cattle market with the animals.

I wonder if anyone has one please.

Thank you.

I think that the WI market is also held on a thursday morning in penistone at the community centre, and they do cakes and buns and jam and that kind of thing as well. So if the proper market is still running on a thursday and the WI market is also on it could be a nice morning out?

Catch the 29 down in the morning, have a gander at the markets, wander down to the dolphin for some fish and chips, a walk through the big park or along the old railway and back on the 29 home to sheffield in the early afternoon.