Is there a Filipino community in Sheffield?

:help: Hi am new here and am searching for a filipino help/advice centre here in Sheffield.....Could you help me i would really appreciate it thanx

As far as I'm aware, there is no "centre" as such - unless you count McDonalds and the Catholic cathedral as "centres"... Can you say what specifically you are looking for help on?

As far as I'm aware, there is no "centre" as such - unless you count McDonalds and the Catholic cathedral as "centres"... Can you say what specifically you are looking for help on?

Yes i will be more specific....

I have met online a filipino woman and for the last eight mths we have been constantly in touch & i am going next year to visit her thing is if we marry what steps do i have to take to try and get her to live in U.K with me,she also has two young children your advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Tom

Hello there - the spouse visa rules are complicated (and getting harder all the time i am afraid). Philippines has been designated a ' non-English speaking country ' which is crazy as almost everyone there learns English from a young age at school. This means filipinos have to sit a series of English tests which are costly. Anyway you can send me a PM for details , also try various websites including http://www.filipinouk.com. Good luck.

is there a filipino community here in sheffield???? just asking:cool:

Why, do need a cleaner to pay 50p an hour?

I winter in the Philippines each year.

there is a small community of Filipinos in Sheffield, but not all that many. Even though there's getting on for four times the number of Filipinos than Malaysians in total, there's probably triple the number of Malaysians in Sheffield than Filipinos - even though about 20% of the Filipino working-age population are outside the Philippines as Overseas Foreign Workers (OFW's) at any one time.

simple fact is that the UK is not one of the countries overseas where a lot of Filipinos go. A large majority of them are in the Middle East, other countries in Asia, and the United States.

it's very difficult to tell Filipinos apart from other south east Asians like Malaysians/Indonesians or even to a lesser extent, Thais or Vietnamese, just by looking at them. Even Filipinos cannot identify another Filipino if they're like on a bus, and they see someone on the street who looks like they might be a fellow national as it goes past. They could just as easily be a Malay or Indonesian.

If you have spent time in the Philippines and are familiar with their various dialects (i.e. at least know how the language sounds, even if you can't speak it fluently), then you can recognise those being spoken if you happen to hear them talking among themselves - but that is very rare. I've experienced that in a few restaraunts over the years. Also, it's very easy for somebody who knows the Philippines and south east Asia, to tell the difference between a Luzon or Cebuano and a Malay English accent, but when did anybody here last see a Filipino restaraunt, or even see any Filipino dishes being sold in an east Asian eatery generally, like you see Thai dishes being sold in just about every Chinese takeaway these days?

only last week, I saw a woman in a supermarket who looked south east Asian and was still wearing her care home uniform, having popped in there after work. I guessed - seeing as the cliche about Filipino nurses and carers has a germ of truth - that she might be Filipina and said 'Kumusta?', which is 'how are you' in Cebuano. Turned out she was from Iloilo city.

last month I saw the truck of a well known Filipino shipping firm (with a big sign on the side) parked up at a Sheffield petrol station, so I pulled over to talk to the guys inside. Their business is to ship what are known as Balikbayan boxes from Filipino expats to their relatives back in the Philippines. They said the Sheffield Filipino community was pretty small, and when they came up from London to pick up their boxes once a month, there was nowhere near enough people in Sheffield to even half fill up one truck. They had to go up to Leeds and a few other towns as well.

Edited by callippo

Hi,

The Pacquiao vs Mayweather fight on May 2nd 2015 - has the Filipino community of Sheffield any plans to gather and watch it somewhere?

I'm not Filipino, but I lived in the Philippines for a bit and experienced the terrific atmosphere any time Manny fought, so would love to watch the fight among you guys and gals. Providing you promise to create a great atmosphere!!! :D

hello I am new here and I just arrive here in Sheffield 4 days ago..i would like to ask if there's any filipino community around here in Sheffield?

Pia, no community as such, but plenty of Filipinos around in Sheffield and Rotherham. Try the Catholic cathedral for starters, and just walking around the main shopping areas in town (or Meadowhall) is likely to bring some encounters.

There is a community.  Try contacting the South Yorkshire Filipino Community Group  (Google them).  There is also the Pear Thai shop on London Road, which has a huge range of Filipino food and there is always 2-3 Filipinos in there every time I'm in.

There is also an active Filipino Society at the University of Sheffield.

There is a very active community in Leeds also, with their own Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/filipinoleeds.assn/

hello pia.

my name is Rose a filipino swedish citezen live in sweden right ow. I met a guy from sheiffild and i am visiting him on nov 23 until 25..i maybe move here.. would be nice to have contact..

samarian@live.se my email if u are interresrid..

Rose