Chapeltown zebra crossing

It's definately in a stupid place. As is the one further up Burncross Road, when turning left out of Greenhead Lane - many time kids run across thinking it's safe to cross and drivers hardly have chance to react.

the idea is to wait until both lanes of traffic have stopped before crossing a zebra crossing. if you know your green cross code you'd know this!!

You've missed it again. What if there is no traffic coming in one or both directions? Do you wait until a car turns up and stops, before starting to cross?

only if you're really weird lol :)

many time kids run across thinking it's safe to cross and drivers hardly have chance to react.

To be honest though if a kid is stupid and runs across without looking the presence or otherwise of a zebra crossing is hardly going to make much difference. In fact, it would only likely increase said kid's chances of survival.

But the zebra crossing is the reason they dart straight across where they do (without looking) - because they think its safe even when it's not. If they were to run straight across without looking elsewhere along the road (away from a junction or a roundabout) both they and drivers have a clear view and time to react.

Both crossings are in the wrong place iv lost count of the number of people who have said the same to me here in Chap, we are not all wrong.

But the zebra crossing is the reason they dart straight across where they do (without looking) - because they think its safe even when it's not.

I don't agree with that at all. I think the sort of kid who would run striaght across a zebra crossing is the sort of kid who would run straight across the road anyway.

If there has been an unusually large number of near misses there, then it's not the fault of the crossing, it's the fault of the drivers who don't treat that section with enough care, and the people who run across without looking. Drivers shouldn't be rushing through there anyway, even without the crossing it's a roundabout entry/exit point and a petrol station exit not a metre further along, with a car park opposite. Not that that bothers a number of today's drivers I suppose, who exercise the same lack of caution regardless.

You may not agree but it's true, wherever a zebra crossing is on the road, most people are going to assume that is the safest place to cross and so off they go regardless thinking the whole world will stop for them even though they're the one who'll end up hurt. Yes, many drivers don't take enough care but the reasons you state only add to the fact that the crossing shouldnt be there, it's too much going on in a short stretch of road.

Many people run across the road coming from infront of KFC without looking, as a driver coming down Burncross Road even if you drive really slowly and carefully you don't get much time to stop for them and so the pedestrian considers it dangerous driving because they've had a fright due to their stupidity. The crossing is quite simply in a dangerous place.

I find it worse coming up Burncross Road from Market place, you stop at the roundabout looking for traffic coming from the right, as you do, if there is or if there is a car in front of you non the nroundabout ypou have to watch to see if it's going straight forward or going into Tesco, no one seems to indicate these days, by the time you get past the roundabout you are looking for cars coming out of Tesco's as most seem it's their god given right to come straight out without waiting to drive down towards Market Place, you can quite easily see anyone waiting to cross from Tesco to KFC, but it's not so easy seeing from KFC to Tesco. Yes they say studies have been taken as to the safety of the crossing, and it's okay! but I've seen on more than one occasion people still using the bollard in the centre of the road, just below the crossing, going down, even more to keep an eye on.

Your totally right Hazel, I agree with you 100%

I can't understand why there are two crossings within ahundred yards or so of each other. I remember Chapeltown being lit with gas lamps - not a crossing, or hardly a motor vehicle in sight.