Chapeltown zebra crossing

Any one heard of any accidents at the zebra crossing outside the KFC in Chapeltown?

I've seen several near misses and wondered if any one had actually been knocked down yet. The council have been out to look at it, after many complaints, and said that it was perfectly alright!

I suppose they couldn't be bothered to incur the cost of moving it and admitting to their stupidity in putting it there in the first place :loopy:

I haven't heard of any accidents, but I won't use it because I've seen too many near misses.

i couldn't beleive it when the crossing was put there - i know someone was knocked down on the one near the baths but the one ar the roundabout is ridiculous - i dont dare cross there, the pelican crossing is scary enough - what braindead person would agree to put a crossing almost on a roundabout? the problem is - the planning people obviously dont use the area in which they put crossings - look at the zebra crossings on the leppings lane roundabout - i've seen loads of near misses there especially on match days.

i couldn't beleive it when the crossing was put there - i know someone was knocked down on the one near the baths but the one ar the roundabout is ridiculous - i dont dare cross there, the pelican crossing is scary enough - what braindead person would agree to put a crossing almost on a roundabout? the problem is - the planning people obviously dont use the area in which they put crossings - look at the zebra crossings on the leppings lane roundabout - i've seen loads of near misses there especially on match days.

Actually, you're wrong about the people who plan the schemes not using the area. The guy who planned the Chapeltown road safety scheme lived in the area at that time. I also have lived in Chapeltown and still regularly use the area.

In any case, you don't need to live in an area to have a very good idea of how facilities will be used.

Pedestrian crossings have to be placed on the pedestrian desire line, if they are put a few yards away they won't be used.

There was considerable debate within the Council about what kind of crossing should be used on the Chapeltown scheme. I was in favour of signalised crossings and argued against the zebras. However, the road safety people argued their case and a decision was taken to go with zebras. Signalised crossings cost a lot more than zebras and unfortunately, funding is limited so cost does come into the equation.

There are regular "near misses" at most junctions / crossings / signals these days. My view has always been that in situations where road users (drivers or pedestrians) percieve danger, they tend to take more care. This could be why people think it's dangerous, but there haven't actually been many accidents

The zebras are better than nothing and the only way they would be upgraded to signalled crossings would be if there was a significant injury accident problem that it was thought could be addressed by the change, or if money became available, perhaps via planning gain from a development.

I agree there are regular near misses on most crossings etc, but this one seems to have more than it's fair share. The problem is it is far too close to the roundabout and the exit to Tesco/petrol station (where people who can't be bothered to wait just fly out whether any traffic (or people) are coming or not). Another problem is that some people just walk straight across it without paying much attention, yes, cars should stop to let people across, but unfortunately some people just don't have the courtesy to do this. It would have been far better if it had been situated a few yards up the road, even better, put it near the shops at the bottom of Lound Side, that road's a nightmare to cross sometimes!

Yeah, I don't think it is the safest place for a crossing, but at the end of the day if you come out of the post office and need to go to Tesco 99% of people will cross there. They aren't going to walk the extra 30 yards up the hill to cross the road. People want the quickest route possible. How many people do you see everyday cross the road where there is a crossing about 20 metres away? I bet the answer is quite high. At least the council have acknowledged this and have tried to do something about it.

Pedestrian crossings have to be placed on the pedestrian desire line, if they are put a few yards away they won't be used.

If the zebra had been placed further up Burncross Road then people would still cross outside KFC rather than walk up the road a few yards. I lived in Chap for 10 years from 1992 and saw numerous near misses at that particular roundabout without the zebra crossing.

Lets stop blaming the Council for the near misses and blame the people causing them........drivers with no road sense and those driving too fast.

a zebra crossing is supposed to be used when both sides of traffic stop!! so why on earth are people still crossing whilst the traffic is still moving!! this isn't a council problem this is people who don't know how to use a Zebra Crossing

I have crossed this MANY MANY Times whilst drunk and i've NEVER had a problem this it

a zebra crossing is supposed to be used when both sides of traffic stop!! so why on earth are people still crossing whilst the traffic is still moving!! this isn't a council problem this is people who don't know how to use a Zebra Crossing

I think you are missing the point slightly. The concern is cars coming off the roundabout directly onto the Zebra crossing. There are quite a few distractions already, and the crossing isn't the easiest to see.

I can understand the reason it's there, given that people will cross here anyway as it's the direct path to Tesco. A pelican would have made more sense as the red rlights are easier to see.

I think you are missing the point slightly. The concern is cars coming off the roundabout directly onto the Zebra crossing. There are quite a few distractions already, and the crossing isn't the easiest to see.

I can understand the reason it's there, given that people will cross here anyway as it's the direct path to Tesco. A pelican would have made more sense as the red rlights are easier to see.

the idea is to wait until both lanes of traffic have stopped before crossing a zebra crossing. if you know your green cross code you'd know this!!

Unfortunately many drivers approaching from Market Place and travelling up Burncross Rd seem to ignore the roadabouts existence completely and pile on through regardless.