Have gays won their battle for acceptance?

..if 'battle' is the right word.

Given that this year is the 40th anniversary of the Sexual Offences Act, which legalised homosexual acts between consenting adults in private, is there much left for gays to achieve in terms of equality and acceptance?

In 'The Times' the other day, Matthew Parris was more or less saying that 'gay rights' campaigns had gone about as far as they could and that it was time to move on (on the other hand, Will Young has challenged this view in a rejoinder in today's 'Times').

I dont think the public opinion of gay men has changed, in particular, by straight men. Things are still said, they are still ridiculed and disliked. The difference is that this is generally said in private. Think they have gone a little too far. Good luck to them and i dont care what people do in their own lives. I just dont want to have to look at men kissing and that on TV or in public, yuk. sorry but i find it perverse.

no

theres still gay bashing going on, theres still people hate gays enough to blow them up

theres still unequality in marriage etc

theres still inequality in work.

theyre still looked upon as a different species

no

theres still gay bashing going on, theres still people hate gays enough to blow them up

theres still unequality in marriage etc

theres still inequality in work.

theyre still looked upon as a different species

how can two men get married. they just cant. mariage is about forming famlies. gay men cant produce children.

Whilst I can have a civil partnership, I can't get married in Church. I can't donate blood, there are many dodgy attitudes about gay people both fostering and adopting. There are a number of uneducated people who still think that the words gay and paedophile are synonomous - despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary and people are still the victims of discrimination in the workplace....so my own feeling is that although much headway has been made in terms of LGBT acceptance and understanding, there's still plenty to go if we're ever to achieve total 'equality'

how can two men get married. they just cant. mariage is about forming famlies. gay men cant produce children.

They can't even pull a decent pint on Emmerdale, which, if you think about it, should be a pretty 'natural' movement (jokes about overflowing creamy heads on a post-card please).

Whilst I'd agree that they've moved up the ladder somewhat, I'm pretty much one of those who doesn't give a fig about what goes on behind locked doors but who likewise doesn't want IT shoved in my face.

Oh blimey, I really ought to word this better.

Sincerely, and happily married for ages and ages and ages....

Whilst I can have a civil partnership, I can't get married in Church. I can't donate blood, there are many dodgy attitudes about gay people both fostering and adopting. There are a number of uneducated people who still think that the words gay and paedophile are synonomous - despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary and people are still the victims of discrimination in the workplace....so my own feeling is that although much headway has been made in terms of LGBT acceptance and understanding, there's still plenty to go if we're ever to achieve total 'equality'

Are you seriously forbidden from donating blood ?

Why ?

see (lol)

marriage isnt about a family, having children, its about 2 people that "love" each other and want to spend the rest of their lives together, the restis just incidental, theres plenty of married hetrosexuals that dont have kids / cant have kids

They can't even pull a decent pint on Emmerdale, which, if you think about it, should be a pretty 'natural' movement (jokes about overflowing creamy heads on a post-card please).

Sean in Coronation Street pulls a pint pretty well. Corrie is obviously more advanced in this regard.

Are you seriously forbidden from donating blood ?

Why ?

gay people are seen as being carriers of teh aidz

see (lol)

marriage isnt about a family, having children, its about 2 people that "love" each other and want to spend the rest of their lives together, the restis just incidental, theres plenty of married hetrosexuals that dont have kids / cant have kids

Exactly marriage is a union of two people who love each other. A family is incidental. I know people who are married and don't have kids there no less married than my Brother and his OH, who have just made me an Uncle for the first time (nice one Rob and Sarah).

gay people are seen as being carriers of teh aidz

Heterosexual people have AIDS as well. Thats ridiculous and completely discriminatory, surely ?

Discrimination !!!!! Oh my god i'm turning into a leftie. I'll get you for this Mel :P