Hurfield secondary modern school

Mr Kirk?

Was he the midget music teacher? Used to smoke a pipe all the time?

you right phil, i see in one of the other threads you mentioned the oddfellows, was john wilkinson father not the licensee. he was in the same year as myself

Now were getting somewhere.

Oddfellows Inn, landlord was Frank Wilkinson and his wife was Sally. They had 4 sons, the youngest, Steve I used to knock about with a bit and he was in same year as me.

Think one of his brothers had a building firm up Fulwood and another played professional football.

Believe Steve went to work at Kennings after leaving school.

Did you know Brian Taylor at Hurlfield? Used to live on Hampton St (now Manor Oaks Road).

hi phil

sorry i got his name wrong, it was steve. can,t say i know a brian taylor , certainly not in my year.i think most of the lads from the park district went to manor lodge prior to hurlfield

Hi Pat,

OK this one you must know.

Mick Rodgers. Lived on Fretson Road, Manor Estate. Used to knock about with Steve Lomax.

Mick was best man at my wedding.

Manor Lodge, is that Manor Lane Primary? Went there as well.

hi phil

knew steve lomax very well, he was a year younger than me, can,t say the name mick rodgers ring a bell

Pat,

You go to Manor Lane as well?

hi phil

no i didn,t, i went to arbourthorne central, with john hodson, kieth wales, mick donohoe, jack hague, dave drake, stewart bell, trev clements, gordon campbell,jim france, tommy carr, roy gibson, and you still dont know who i am,

Hi Pat

This is gettin' annoying now.

Very annoying!

Tommy Carr? Big heavy kid with fair hair, used to call him Ugh!

Remember Dave Rotherham, fishing daft; David Hebblethwaite, used to dye his hair? Andrew Tucker, reckoned all the girls fancied him? Peter Downing, used to live at top of Norfolk Park?

Sorry, name are starting to flood back, should never have joined this site!!

Last time I was in Sheff bout a year ago, drove past Hurlfield and they'd got a jumble sale on. Went inside and really brought it all back.

Spoke with current head and he reckons it'll be pulled down in next 10years. Looked a bit run down but admit brought a lump to throat.

Do you know if there are ever any reunions held?

Would travel the 450 miles to go to one.

hi phil

you got the wrong person as tommy carr,i know all the other lads though, dave rotherham was the cousin of mick kay,who sadly died many ago. as for reunions i went to one about 20 years ago at josephines. thats the last i know of . but im all for trying to get another one up

If you do or if you hear of one then get it advertised on here.

Would really make the trip.

attended hurlfield 61-65, when it was a boys only school, the trophy cabinet in the foyerwas full every year , when it came to sport we wre up there with the best, football rugby, cricket, athletics, cross country, you name it we won it , looking back it was something to be proud of.
hiya patch , i went to hurlfield for a short while about 1964 , i cant remember too much as i wern't there very long , i remember reg lindley , did you know him ? graham wilson ? he lived on gleadless common , kenny kenny ? lived arbourthorne rd , you mention tommy carr would this be the tommy carr off of hartopp black hair, thin ? i think maybe it was , i used to knock about with tommy .