Hurfield secondary modern school

Oh yes, he's still most certainly alive! He'll turn 90 in March 2010.

if you are "the" mr houdmont can i just say that if we still had teachers in todays schools like yourself the youth of today wouldn't be what they are, i felt your cane on a few occassions and it taught me to behave mi sen.

I think there is some confusion about the school(s). Hurlfield Secondary Modern (girls school) became a mixed school about 1970ish and became Ashleigh Comp. Hurlfied Boys mixed and kept the name Hurlfield. This is how I remember it anyway. I started at Hurlfield Girls school in 1967 and left Ashleigh as it was called then in 1972.

I think Hurlfield Girls mixed with City Tech but know we had two buildings after that which were the upper and lower schools. I remember the head teacher when I started was called Mrs Notts. I remember two of my form teachers were Miss Barnett, Mr Pickering, and I remember Mrs Wingrove who I think later became the headteacher.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

You were right to point out the scope for confusion!

In the summer of 1968 I left Central Technical School (on Gleadless Road), which was a boys' school. It re-opened having become co-ed in September 1968 as “Ashleigh Comprehensive – Upper School”. Some time later I think it became part of Myrtle Springs School and was perhaps known for a time towards its end as “Myrtle Springs School – Gleadless Road Site” (or something like that). You wouldn’t know when that particular building was demolished, would you?

At the same time (September 1968) I believe Hurlfield Girls School re-opened, also having become co-ed, as “Ashleigh Comprehensive – Lower School”. It was demolished in 1988 if my information is correct.

I am reasonably sure that my old head teacher (Mr Fyfe) became overall head of Ashleigh Comprehensive - with Mr Walker as head of Lower School (the former Hurlfield Girls School) and Mrs Knott (perhaps) as head of Upper School (the former Central Technical School).

Edited by HPSec
typos

I was at Hurfield 1960-65

“Len” Edgerton was head complete with mortar board and cape, and “Big Bill” Lupton his huge assistant. I remember many of the teachers already mentioned like Taffy Morgan RE, Mr March History, Mr Standing Tech drawing, “Sligo” Kirk music and Stuart Greenhough Geography.

Bill “By Jove lad!” Machin was indeed a frightening prospect when we were younger and he’d need little excuse to crack your backside with his size 12 slipper even in the shower, but the guy who really took the prize as most disliked was a tall beaky nosed guy call Mr Haythorne who taught English. Even putting the wrong date or a too narrow margin would result in the kind of beating you’d expect off the Head for fighting. I think he may have left or at least he didn’t teach me after my second year; either way it was good riddance! :rant:

On the other hand, Peter Jennings Science, and Alan (Amos) Burk Maths, ( “A Burk” on his briefcase ;)) were my inspiration and led me nicely into my career as a computer engineer (back then, they filled whole rooms it's a lot easier now)

Another good memory is the tuck shop. Anyone remember “Potato Puffs”? I don’t think that I’ve ever seen them since I left Hurlfield. They were fantastic, a bit like the bubbles you sometimes get on crisps only far bigger so they’d pop in you mouth. Don’t know why they stopped making them, I worked in the tuck shop a few times in the 5th year and they sold out as fast as we could order them.

Ah the memories! :)

Hi GreyBlade,

Were you in the same class as Steve (Big Sam) Rhodes, Graham Cockings, Andrew Tucker, Trevor (Sheb) Woolley to name but a few?

Remember all the teachers you mention.

Hi GreyBlade,

Were you in the same class as Steve (Big Sam) Rhodes, Graham Cockings, Andrew Tucker, Trevor (Sheb) Woolley to name but a few?

Remember all the teachers you mention.

No PhilipB I don't recall them :confused:.

I sort of drifted between the B and A streams while I was there and so most of my mates came from those classes. The "drift" was down to the fact that I was decent at maths, science and tech drawing, and not really interested in anything else on the curriculum (except football).

In my year, the brightest lad was Tony Harrison a great kid good at everything including football. He was the only one to pass O level History in 1965 and I think he ended up with 8 "O" levels. Tragically, I heard that he got knocked down and killed by a bus not long after leaving school.

Mick Raynes and his mates were the hard lads of our year but although they weren't in my class, I got on ok with them. I still see "Big Jim" Tuckett around at the Lane occasionally although he's now lost much of the weight he was famous for. ;)

Hello. Just joined the forum. I remember lots of the teachers mentioned and was at Hurlfield mid 60's. I think I left in 68. anyone remember me? John (Lammy) Lambert.

was there 62-67

remember the teachers- machin used to open the gym after school for badminton jack crawshaw was our form teacher- turton, marsh, houdmont,

greenhough, godbehere, were teaching there in my time remember worrall

`beerbarrel` milner dave parkin as being in the same class -left term before it remamed hurlfield comp was there when swanny blew himself up in the lab-made afair mess of himself but fortunately survived

name`s lacey

I went to Hurlfield Secondary modern from 1960 to 1964. I remember when I was 13 years old that one of our class mates died . I believe his name was Roy Norton. The class went to his funeral at City Road Cemetery. have I got his name right or was it another name? Can anyone remember?

I was at Hurlfield Secondary Modern for Boys 1961 to 1965 .

My first year form teacher was Sidebury a Welshman English teacher top floor first door on the right.

Second year Greenoff Goegraphy I understand he retired from Hurlfield,I rememer him as a Student teacher.

Third year Morton Art teacher sniffle & blink was his nickname

Fourth year Burk Maths

If any one can remember me please contact me.

I was at Hurfield from 1955 to 1958, I hung around with Roger Pearson, Alan Faulkner, Terry Dobson. My brother was at Hurfield between 1965 - 1969 His name was Malcolm Stevens, we lived on Fellbrigg Road on Arbourthorne.

I remember Mr Hopkinson was the PE teacher.

Len Edgerton the headmaster caned 85 of us once in the assembly hall because we were late coming back from the playing fields one lunch time. There was 85 of us all lined up for 2 stokes of the cane !!

mjb61

that wouldn,t be michael becket by any chance, i was in that class, and bill you know me very well.

mjb61

that wouldn,t be michael becket by any chance, i was in that class, and bill you know me very well.

I may know you very well but at the moment you have me baffled and puzzled, if I knew your surname I would know straight away :)

Now bill , I. lived eight doors away and we had some great holidays together,now do you know who i am,