Hurfield secondary modern school

Alan, hi.

I've not got much idea of how to gee a forum up but would giving the past contibutors a nudge help? oh and if someone is searching for Hurlfield would they find this which seems to be down as Hurfield.

Hi blue2856 did you go to Arbourthone before hurlfield ?

i went there 70 71 onwards i remember all those teachers and brownhead farm in pickering i also saw mr turton a few times at his home some 20 years later his car was broke and i had to repair it .

a few ppl i remember annette rodgers mick taylor keith chaterton ron kitchen kevin joel gary joel mick cutts trevor hodson les gooney big kev smith thats it for now tho maybe il remember a few more later.

i went there 70 71 onwards i remember all those teachers and brownhead farm in pickering i also saw mr turton a few times at his home some 20 years later his car was broke and i had to repair it .

a few ppl i remember annette rodgers mick taylor keith chaterton ron kitchen kevin joel gary joel mick cutts trevor hodson les gooney big kev smith thats it for now tho maybe il remember a few more later.

Hey just looking up the old school and saw my name listed here. Does anyone else remember me. I'm now in Australia.

omg les how are u m8 ,where in oz are u ? not seen u for about 40 years.

kev smith

I went to Hurlfield comp in 1970-75. Remember all those names. The school had just allowed girls in, and many of the teachers made it quite clear they weren't happy about that. Mr Godbehere (what a fantastic name!) taught maths. He threw a wooden board rubber at me which hit me on the side of the head - for looking out of the window!! Physics teacher - can't remember his name) called me "dead wood"!! I've got a PhD now!!!!!

I used to fancy Gary Illingworth - captain of the cricket team I think. He was lovely. I wonder what happened to him?

Hi Les

Do you remember me? Used to live near you. I bought your football boots when you left for Australia.

Steve corry

I was at Hurfield 1960-65

“Len” Edgerton was head complete with mortar board and cape, and “Big Bill” Lupton his huge assistant. I remember many of the teachers already mentioned like Taffy Morgan RE, Mr March History, Mr Standing Tech drawing, “Sligo” Kirk music and Stuart Greenhough Geography.

Bill “By Jove lad!” Machin was indeed a frightening prospect when we were younger and he’d need little excuse to crack your backside with his size 12 slipper even in the shower, but the guy who really took the prize as most disliked was a tall beaky nosed guy call Mr Haythorne who taught English. Even putting the wrong date or a too narrow margin would result in the kind of beating you’d expect off the Head for fighting. I think he may have left or at least he didn’t teach me after my second year; either way it was good riddance! :rant:

On the other hand, Peter Jennings Science, and Alan (Amos) Burk Maths, ( “A Burk” on his briefcase ;)) were my inspiration and led me nicely into my career as a computer engineer (back then, they filled whole rooms it's a lot easier now)

Another good memory is the tuck shop. Anyone remember “Potato Puffs”? I don’t think that I’ve ever seen them since I left Hurlfield. They were fantastic, a bit like the bubbles you sometimes get on crisps only far bigger so they’d pop in you mouth. Don’t know why they stopped making them, I worked in the tuck shop a few times in the 5th year and they sold out as fast as we could order them.

Ah the memories! :)

I was at Hurfield 1960-65

“Len” Edgerton was head complete with mortar board and cape, and “Big Bill” Lupton his huge assistant. I remember many of the teachers already mentioned like Taffy Morgan RE, Mr March History, Mr Standing Tech drawing, “Sligo” Kirk music and Stuart Greenhough Geography.

Bill “By Jove lad!” Machin was indeed a frightening prospect when we were younger and he’d need little excuse to crack your backside with his size 12 slipper even in the shower, but the guy who really took the prize as most disliked was a tall beaky nosed guy call Mr Haythorne who taught English. Even putting the wrong date or a too narrow margin would result in the kind of beating you’d expect off the Head for fighting. I think he may have left or at least he didn’t teach me after my second year; either way it was good riddance! :rant:

On the other hand, Peter Jennings Science, and Alan (Amos) Burk Maths, ( “A Burk” on his briefcase ;)) were my inspiration and led me nicely into my career as a computer engineer (back then, they filled whole rooms it's a lot easier now)

Another good memory is the tuck shop. Anyone remember “Potato Puffs”? I don’t think that I’ve ever seen them since I left Hurlfield. They were fantastic, a bit like the bubbles you sometimes get on crisps only far bigger so they’d pop in you mouth. Don’t know why they stopped making them, I worked in the tuck shop a few times in the 5th year and they sold out as fast as we could order them.

Ah the memories! :)

Hi

I left in '62 at 15. English was one of my best subjects so didn't have any problems with Haythorne but I saw others having 'issues' with him. I was B stream and used to envy E stream who were allowed to play 'pirates' in the gym, we had Machin, the miserable old git, who used to make use do endless circuits until we were totally exhausted. No time for any fun or even a smidgen of enjoyment and if you didn't run for a taste of slipper he would make you go back and run to him. I must say in his defence that he showed endless patience with a very timid lad in our class who didn't have any co-ordination or confidence to do anything but tried his very best all the same, I think Machin didn't like anyone not doing their best.

Yes I remember Potato Puffs and also Wagon Wheels. Healthy eating?

steve corry didnt you have a sister anne i think you used to live just down the road from me and my bro kev and ray smith ?