Hurfield secondary modern school

I went to Hurlfield school from 72 to 76. My favourite teacher was Meg Jepson the drama teacher. She was great and we always had a laugh in her classes. Me and my mates, John Roberts and Neil Palmer were also in the drama group and we were in some really good productions in our time there. Anyone remember Peer Gynt which i remember was recorded for cable television! wonder if that copy still exists...John is now a professional actor under the name John Elkington and has recently appeared in Coronation Street. There were some good teachers, Mrs Eddowes who was our English teacher was great, good sense of humour which was essential at Hurlfield. Mr Moxon who was a hit with the girls was the art teacher and i believe became headmaster in recent years. Mrs Woofe the home economics teacher was a real babe and i had a secret crush on her!!! Ha! Going red as we speak...All in all it wasnt too bad, managed to keep out of trouble and more happy memories than bad.

Hey JohnJay,

Wow, your recollections brought back a flood of memories for me. I havent been able to remember much but you really forced me back in time lol. My name is Alan Hill and I went to Hurlfield 68 to 72. I had forgotten the coloured houses but yes you are right (except the admiral is Anson not Hanson lol). I remember the 24 hour swimathon. I remember the curtains catching fire.

I played a leading part in 'Toad of Toad Hall' and I remember the drama teach Meg Jepson (had a crush on her).

I remember a crosseyed maths teacher who was quite kind but I cant remember her name. I can tell you some stories which might be interesting over a beer though.

Remember Wolstenholme - I wasnt very sporty at school though.

Get back to me if you have any further recollections.

Regards

Alan Hill

Went between 72 & 76

Did you know that the form you entered was based on the exam from the old school. So if you got all A grades you entered at 2-1 and mostly C 2-5 and E 2-9. They then gave you an education based on this system. So if you were in 2-1 to 2-3 you got the best!

Some of the teachers I remember (not seen the names of yet) are Mr Lancaster who like many teachers was from the army and spent most of the class talking about it and the headmaster P G Adams.

Pupils I remember are Mark Claypole, Steven Wragg, the two Northcliffe brothers, John Barber. I was also made a pall of by the tallest lads in the school. They looked 18 at 14! Gary Morton and Karl Schmidt (probably spelt wrong) are their names. And the girls ah!

Bay City Rollers fans were told by the head the tartan scarfs were for wearing outside!

The girls I'll never forget are Gayle Clark, Sharron Transfield, Leslie Hamilton, Susan Nutall and Carol Clark (who's a conducter on the trams now).

DON'T Talk to me about ties. The Head was NUTS about boys wearing ties! It was a nightmare every time you went to gym or swiming, if the dam thing fell apart and you did not know how to tie them (bad pun sorry).

Pupils I remember are Mark Claypole, Steven Wragg, the two Northcliffe brothers, John Barber. I was also made a pall of by the tallest lads in the school. They looked 18 at 14! Gary Morton and Karl Schmidt (probably spelt wrong) are their names.

went to hurlfield the same years as you and remember a lot of the names so you must have been in my year. Went to a reunion a few years ago and Karl Schmidt was there it was great to see the old faces. They had a 'turn' and it was David Verity who was in our year and is playing the clubs now.

went to hurlfield the same years as you and remember a lot of the names so you must have been in my year. Went to a reunion a few years ago and Karl Schmidt was there it was great to see the old faces. They had a 'turn' and it was David Verity who was in our year and is playing the clubs now.

From your previous entries I knew you might respond. So as the classes didn't change what form were you in? I was in 2-5+ etc had the nickname 'ferret', very fruity, and crap at games! Went to Prince Edward with Smith and Nix as well!

Never found out about any reuions.

Think i was in 2-7 etc..so it doesnt say a lot for me according to your previous post re streaming classes. Do remember schools like Whitby Road in Darnall being at Hurlfield a year before us in Prince Edwards and a lot of them were in the first few classes. Mark Claypole, Bill Young, David Verity and Neil Palmer were in our class along with Jackie Thomas, Linda Plews, Pamela Gregory, Elaine Winter and Wendy Clarke of the girls.

Dont remember that nickname of yours although i have got to know you if you knew Bill and Rich.

Dont know if they still do the reunions, found out about them on friends reunited, some great old names on there!!

Just trying to think who you could be? Len? You are not another Neil? Does GA for me ring your bells?

We would have bump into one another in the early years, but then they did options if you remember and that tended to split up us a lot.

Mark used to do a great muttly laugh of Wacky Races. Do you remember Christopher Plummer trying to do cookery class with the girls, was he serious about being a chef or just trying to get with the girls. And there was one girl who wanted to do woodwork. The teachers were fumming with her!

As for the results I don't think it was fair anyway. Turns out I have a hand speed slower than normal. That's why I could never catch balls at sporting things! I could have been in 2-3 if they didn't time the exam! Glad I wasn't they gave you enough homework in any case.

Hi again hillbilly i left in 72 can anyone else (apart from hillbilly )remember `digger davis` ? there must be someone else on here that left in the same year :hihi:

i think when i first went to hurlfield in 1972 i was in mr robsons class he was the music teacher the after the first year i stayed with mr crebor . i can remember miss Jepson , Miss woolfe mr hartley mrs smith mr houdmont mr moxon i will have to dig my school reports out to see who else is on there. i hated school so much i,m surprised i could remember that lot . ......

Hi again hillbilly i left in 72 can anyone else (apart from hillbilly )remember `digger davis` ? there must be someone else on here that left in the same year :hihi:

I seem to remember digger - was he a smallish black kid who was good at playing football. His dad was a tailor and his uniform was appropriately fitted.

Alan Hill

i think when i first went to hurlfield in 1972 i was in mr robsons class he was the music teacher the after the first year i stayed with mr crebor . i can remember miss Jepson , Miss woolfe mr hartley mrs smith mr houdmont mr moxon i will have to dig my school reports out to see who else is on there. i hated school so much i,m surprised i could remember that lot . ......

You must have gone the same time as Len and me. What form where you in? What made it horrible for me it was sport and some really vicious bullies!

This Meg Jepson you're talking about still does the drama thing.. well she did when I was at school about 6 years ago and I'm sure I still see her in the Star from time to time