Neepsend lane - interested in it's history.

That tram is just passing Farfield Garage that used to be Sheffields Morgan cars dealership.

What I find strange about that pic is that there only appears to be one set of tram lines at that point. Am I missing something ? I spent all my younger days in the 50's to the 70's in that area and don't remember a one way section.

What I find strange about that pic is that there only appears to be one set of tram lines at that point. Am I missing something ? I spent all my younger days in the 50's to the 70's in that area and don't remember a one way section.

Part of the section between Rutland Road and Percy Street was single track because of the road width at that point.

That tram is just passing Farfield Garage that used to be Sheffields Morgan cars dealership.

Looks similar, gas tank in the background gives it away,

here's the tram from the other direction,

Tram No. 272 on Neepsend Lane with Neepsend Steel Tool Corporation Ltd., in the background

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s18232&prevUrl=

Edited by retep

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/Neepsandgasworks_zps9f3144b8.jpg

-------------

Another picture of Neepsend gas works, the farfield pub is now boarded up-

what a dive it was upto closing.

--------

On the first picture do you think its same tram as this one.

Hi Brian1941-the gas tank in the background I remember well,as kids we used to scale up the stairs on it for a dare,this was in the dark to make it more scary!.Our parents would have had kittens if they ever knew!:loopy::thumbsup:

Tram No. 272 on Neepsend Lane with Neepsend Steel Tool Corporation Ltd., in the background

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s18232&prevUrl=

That is a good photograph. You can see the stop/go light on the support standard to the left which controlled the tramcars on the single line .

Hi Brian1941-the gas tank in the background I remember well,as kids we used to scale up the stairs on it for a dare,this was in the dark to make it more scary!.Our parents would have had kittens if they ever knew!:loopy::thumbsup:

---------------

Yes you naughty lad, my parents would have scuffed me aswell. :hihi::hihi:

We used to travel by tram from Wadsley Bridge to Farfield Road . A group of us used to go upstairs in the bay where we took it in turns to hide one under the seat - covered by the legs of the others - to avoid paying the 1D tram fare . That paid for a 1D. frozen Jubly which we all shared .

That was before the passes of course :hihi:

My Dad, Peter Bartholomew grew up on Hicks Rd in the late 30's/40's/

I lived opposite side of road a.b.c streets Ilived in hobson ave knew your dad did he have a brother my name Dave Brumpton nearly 75

---------- Post added 13-07-2013 at 12:08 ----------

Whilst Parkwood Springs had it's fair share of railway workers, it could hardly be described as a railway workers estate, and Parkwood Springs was in Neepsend.

I lived in the a.b.c streets an old lady in the 1940s told me the area from hillfoot bridge to wardsend cemetery was called rawsons meadows and belonged to her great grandfather who could not read or write and was cheated out of it by a con man who got him to sign a paper he could not read