Sign in to follow this  

'Coughing' Beardie

She's off to the vets next Wednesday - I hate going to the vets, I always feel like I'm under scrutiny and I'm going to get told off for something. At least I'm not taking twisty - if he saw him he would think I was doing something wrong.

I've also got this underlying fear that he'll want her PTS - or worse all of them - I doubt it, she's fine but for the cough.

I know I'm being irrational, she's probably caught a minor infection. He'll give her an injection say change the sand and we'll all be happy.

Well unless they give you a definate illness dont let them. I have heard of vets putting them down as they tend not to have a lot of experience with reptiles.

There are medicines that you can put in their water to help with infections too.

Well unless they give you a definate illness dont let them. I have heard of vets putting them down as they tend not to have a lot of experience with reptiles.

I'm assured he does, I asked on the phone. Don't worry I will be leaving with as many reptiles as I take this time! She not in pain which would be high on my PTS criteria.

Water treatment would be good as there are 4 - only trouble is they usually get their water through salad and when it is left standing in the bowl they turn it into a mushy pit!

oh yeah the love that, I trained jubbjubb to drink from a cup using the drip on the nose game :D

Well the vet listened to her lungs and there's lots of fluid on them. Its probably one of two things a chest infection or a lump on her chest. She's on Baytril (which I have only ever seen used for small furries before) in the hope it is an infection, if that doesn't work she gets an x-ray.

I can't help but think that since her dad had it and none of the other unrelated ones have, its likely to be a lump :-(

Dont suppose they have been kept in the same viv have they it could be a bacteria in that particular viv. If the viv is the common factor sterilise it.

I can suggest two sure fire ways of complete sterilisation

Dry ice and water all the co2 kills anything but plants which love it by the way.

the second it the good old scrubbing with bleach and leaving to air dry.

Both mean removing the animal.

Dont suppose they have been kept in the same viv have they it could be a bacteria in that particular viv. If the viv is the common factor sterilise it.

I can suggest two sure fire ways of complete sterilisation

Dry ice and water all the co2 kills anything but plants which love it by the way.

the second it the good old scrubbing with bleach and leaving to air dry.

Both mean removing the animal.

Its a common factor but there are three others in there which haven't been affected at all, it'd be a lucky co-incidence if the only one that's genetically connected gets it 3 years after the first one started.

I am going to give the tank a thorough cleaning. I'm thinking of buying a rat/chinchilla cage so they can get some fresh air and play outside if the weather picks up

Good idea I have seen dragon harnesses on some reptile forums but watch what it eats.

Ps I seem to have an abundance of grasshoppers on my garden pity they cant eat them.

I tried harnesses years ago - they didn't like them much, and like you say they can eat things they shouldn't. Why can't they eat grasshoppers?