Sign in to follow this  

'Coughing' Beardie

This is one for the reptile people on here...

Danny (RIP) starting making a noise aged about 2 which sounded like a radiator gurgling. It took me a while to realise what it was but when I did it was him making a wheezy/coughy noise. This wasn't what killed him he had it for 2 years - then died of what the think was liver/kidney failure.

I was always advised not to worry - he ate, ran around, bobbed and was perfectly fine otherwise but I never quite figured out what it was. Now his daughter is doing the same thing - only occasionally and she looks normal aside too.

What might it be? Has anyone dealt with it?

Cant help at all as I know nothing about reptiles but I do hope she is OK x

She's fine aside from that (and the fact she can't decide whether she's a boy or a girl)

It could be a few things but to be sure it would mean a trip to the vets. I haave heard of them getting RI's that can spread to different areas I would always take them to a vet if your worried

Thanks CV, knew you'd have some advice.

I don't think its contageous - Danny had it 2 years and didn't affect the others and its a year since he died. I was wondering about genetics to be honest but I hope not as Danny had two 'litters' which are now all over the country.

My first port of call will be to completely change the sand next week (pay day) and turn the temperatures up slightly - the heat mat needs replacing.

I have to admit, I've only ever had to take a rep to the vets once and he didn't come out. So, I'm a little wary.

Upping the temps is a good place to start also make sure if you can to eliminate any fine dust from the viv I know it is easier said than done.

Remember I have a very fit male if you want one to breed with one of your females.

Upping the temps is a good place to start also make sure if you can to eliminate any fine dust from the viv I know it is easier said than done.

Will do. I have a mini hand vac, that should do the trick.

2 of my girls have laid eggs - some I missed because I was at work and some that I lost thanks to the incubator leaking onto the only available electric extension. I'd love to breed them if I could catch the eggs on time. I'm still learning how to use the incubator though so no garuntees first time.

Remind me in a month once I've submitted my work to university. Not sure what twisty will make of his girls playing away ;-)

Twisty's unrelated but also possibly too disabled to have fertilised the eggs.

We could both keep a female too :-)

That would be great LOL

I have been looking for a female but people are now wanting around £200 for females. I will never pay that they might as well wear a mask and carry a sawn off.

Sadly people who have female beardies realise that somebody will pay well over the odds for them :(:(

That would be great LOL

I have been looking for a female but people are now wanting around £200 for females. I will never pay that they might as well wear a mask and carry a sawn off.

Sadly people who have female beardies realise that somebody will pay well over the odds for them :(:(

I got my last one for £60 but it was advertised for more. I am a bit of a haggler.