Sign in to follow this  

Java plug-in problems

Windows 2000 professional

Java runtime environment

Firefox + IE

A week or two ago, I found several trojans in my \Sun\Java directory again. I got ticked off and just nuked the entire directory. Afterwards I downloaded the latest java runtime environment but it didn't work out that well.

Java applications will run in my browsers, but operating a hotmail account or my school mail exchange applet won't.

For instance, I can read mails in "hotmail". I can click reply, I can write a reply, but I can't send it. Clicking the send button simply won't do anything.

As for my school mail, I can see my inbox and other folders, but I can't open and read mails. Same as with hotmail, clicking the e-mail simply doesn't work anymore.

Does anyone recognize these symptons?

I've tried several new Java installs, maybe I need to give new browser installs a go?

Well thanks for the reply, but I don't consider xp to be a helpful solution for anything. :P

Win2kpro is my operating system of choice . ;)

If you re-installed the Java plug in then it's probably OK, but you might need to re-set which JRE to use in the control panel thingy.

Go to control panel and double click the Java Plugin thing. In the plug in control panel, go to the Advanced tab, and there's a drop down box to select the Java Runtime Environment. It's probably set to "use default plugin". Change this to the JRE you last installed - probably JRE 1.4.2_06 or similar.

While you're in the control panel check your browser is to use the JRE as it's default plugin (make sure the box is ticked in the Browser tab).

If that don't work I'd reinstall the browser. No point in nuking 2K for XP over this - you'll sort it :)

You tried bringing up a java console and looking for errors? It might not even be a java problem or it might give you a clue to what is going wrong....