Help - Is Rex (my bearded dragon) poorly?

I aggree fully with geckoqueen I personally dont use a thermoatat with my beardie as his basking spot is around a 95 degrees and sometimes a little more but with a 6ft viv he has plenty of tank to wander off if he wants to cool down I also turn all his heat source and lights off at night as where they come from can go very cold at night so our front room will never drop the amount they are ok with. I do know some people who provide heat 24/7 but it isnt needed unless you have a very cold house and its very cold outside.

I'll have to have a look at what the black box is on top of his tank, not sure if it is a thermostat or not. Like you his heat source is turned off at night. Sorry to seem so vague but like I say I'm on a learning curve with him.

We heat one end (about 1ft) 24/7 with a heat mat because our tank is on the ground (and so colder) but they usually sleep in the unheated bit anyway.

CV what's your opinion on BDs living on their own? There's no harm in it (as far as I'm aware) but IMO you see a much wider display of natural behaviours if they're in groups.

I have no choice I cant afford the ridiculous prices people want for an adult female or eddie my male would have a harem:D

Just coming abck to substrate a moment - its what covers the round. Is he on sand? If so, what sort?

Just coming abck to substrate a moment - its what covers the round. Is he on sand? If so, what sort?

Kiddies called me earlier he is on sand. I have given advice on how to possibly help rex if it is impaction like the usual bathing in warm water and to give him a little iceberg lettuce as it has a laxative effect.:D

kiddies how is he any news

Hi

Rex seems a lot better this morning. When I went to see him he was actually up and about for the first time in 3 days. He looked a lot better.

Normally when I go to feed him, he's waiting for me at the glass but yesterday he was behind his log.

Thanks for your advice Viper - I gave him a 'bath' last night and gave him some Iceberg but only a little bit, he did eventually eat it.

This morning I've put some more in his tank and he's eaten it straight away.

Hopefully he's over the worse now.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Deborah

P.S.

I'm going to put some pictures of him on here. He's grown so much in 5 months.

Deborah

Please remember to only give iceberg in this situation as it is not a good food for beardies.

hi lettice isnt good for any reptiles as its just full of water and gives them the runs if hes puffing up his beard and bobbing alot it could be that it is a boy and sounds to me like hes horny thats why hes been of his food and blowing himself up hes just saying this is my tank the males or teritorial and can fight hope this helps hes just down because of the time of year its mating time

hi lettice isnt good for any reptiles as its just full of water and gives them the runs if hes puffing up his beard and bobbing alot it could be that it is a boy and sounds to me like hes horny thats why hes been of his food and blowing himself up hes just saying this is my tank the males or teritorial and can fight hope this helps hes just down because of the time of year its mating time

I take it you read all the posts where carpetviper advised that feeding iceberg was only to be used as a possible way to clear possible impaction and that normally feeding iceberg was a no no Or did you decide to jump in without checking the other posts where after answering quite a few questions and a call to CV kiddies managed to resolve the problems he was having with a nice bath and a little iceberg. The fact he had gone of food and his belly was hard and bloated usually points out impaction plus at 5 months he possibly may not have reached the stages of maturity yet.

Akuma

Around what age do they reach maturity? What are the signs? Should I be doing anything get Rex through it?

I dont know what sex he/she is?

Deborah

If he's puffing his chin out, I'd say he's starting to hit puberty. 5 months does seem a little young though - how certain are you of the exact age? How big is (s)he head to tail?

There's not a lot you need to do extra, though like I said they need more greens in their diet when they're older and if it is a boy then keep him away from other males as they will fight.