Where was Zion Church?

My wife and I had had a walk around Attercliffe Cemetery yesterday. I always though that the church in front of the cemetery was Zion Church as evidenced by the nearby Zion Lane.

My wife thinks otherwise and that the church was Attercliffe Church.

Can anyone enlighten me, please.

Hello,

Just seen your post regarding Zion church.

If you go to http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk and enter 'zion church' in the search box it will bring up different images of the Zion churches in Sheffield.

If you look at image s04901 it shows Zion congregational Church, Zion Lane, Attercliffe.

If you want any further info regarding bits and pieces on Attercliffe, search for a member named 'detrius' he is doing a project on Attercliffe here on the forum.

Edit:I spoke to someone earlier that thought it might have been Hill Top chapel if there was a cemetry, could be wrong, sure someone on here will know though.

Cheers,

Chris.

there's this church on Pic sheff, called Zion Congs,

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s04901

this church http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s04769

is attercliffe church (now gone) which was near Zion lane,

it could be either church, with such scanty info... :(

edited to add, sorry, carsupplier, I've linked to the same picture of the church as you did.

Just to confirm Plain Talker is correct (she usually is, hi PT). Her first pic is of Zion church. If you walk round the back of the block where the Omega massage parlour is, you'll find the spot where the chuch stood.

It suffered fire damage in about 1987/88 and was demolished shortly afterwards. The small graveyard behind remained, but was fenced off and became part of a van hire establishment. As far as I know the graves are still back there somewhere.

i used to live near zion church when i was a kid it was one hell of a spooky place

i can remember once when the bells started ringing late at night and there was no one inside when the police searched the building. that was back in 60`s.

(when i was a kid i was told that zion was something to do with the devil maybe something to do with the bells ringing??)

paul..

Zion is nothing to do with the devil.

Zion is another name for the promised land, and the connection with Mount Zion, which is a holy hill that the city of Jerusalem is built upon.

it's also written as "sion".

some people cosnsider it another name for a holy place, sacred, devoted to God.

I understand from my late husband (Roger Yeardley) that his grandfather had a blacksmith's shop on Zion Lane in Attercliffe. Can anyone remember this? I would be pleased for any information.

mount zion is holy for rastas too.

wasnt there a zion church at woodhouse? in the village (just over the road) im sure i remember that being a zion church or someat, quite a newer church tho

The Zion Chapel was on Malthouse Lane, just off Market Street where the cross is situated.

i used to go to sunday school at a zion chapel but that was in woodhouse.