18 years on the dole.

Spoken like a true Daily Mail reader... :loopy: :loopy:

You must be able to understand, though, Rich, how people who ARE working 40 hours a week, year in and year out, at jobs they don't like much, feel about people who seem to be able to get away with not working and claiming benefits.

On the few occasions I've been out of work, they are on your case constantly, and that's been the experience of most people I know. So how some people get away with it for years, I don't know.:huh:

You must be able to understand, though, Rich, how people who ARE working 40 hours a week, year in and year out, at jobs they don't like much, feel about people who seem to be able to get away with not working and claiming benefits.

On the few occasions I've been out of work, they are on your case constantly, and that's been the experience of most people I know. So how some people get away with it for years, I don't know.:huh:

Took the words out of my mouth! I work between 48 - 55 hrs per week in a job I hate to provide for my family. What help do I get off anyone... nothing, but nor do I ask for any. I know plenty of people who just sit on thier ass all day waiting for the government to hand them everything on a plate.

I do feel sorry for those who genuinly try to get work and fail, the problem is the majority of those who scrounge off of the system gives everyone a bad name.

My other half's sister has been on the dole as soon as she could apply for it and has no intenision of getting a job at all some people just take the p!zz with the system and are bloody bone idol but some people who go out looking for work i cant fault at all

Oh yes mate, don't get me started.

I worked for 18 years and estimate i paid about 100 grand in tax and NI.

I took VR last year and whilst i have the redundo to survive on i can't claim a bloomin penny!

I know i am not needy and it was my choice, although employment law would say that it wasn't my choice to leave, but i wish i could have opted out of the government coffers and paid it all into private insurance.

By the way i took redundo to better myself but it would be nice to get something back rather than have my face rubbed in it by people who have been claiming for 15 years.

Did you have a job to go to after taking redundancy? i only ask because you say you took the money to better yourself.

I'm surprised the government haven't started giving medals, diplomas or certificates to those who can prove that they've been on the dole for X number of years. After all, kids get certificates for practically zero effort at 16 or 18 or whatever ; why not carry the plan onwards and upwards ?

Something like, ' This diploma is awarded to Mr. / Ms. XYZ for their unstinting and continual idleness in the face of much unpleasant pressure to get a job. The recipient of this diploma scored 97 % in the Benefits Claim section. By the very nature of their heroic refusal to do a day's work they have ensured the employment of countless civil servants, computer programmers and co-ordinators who have assisted them over the long years. Well done and a Happy Retirement to you and your family ! '.

[The recipient is then presented with a gold-plated biro and a special one-off benefits cheque ].

I'm surprised the government haven't started giving medals, diplomas or certificates to those who can prove that they've been on the dole for X number of years. After all, kids get certificates for practically zero effort at 16 or 18 or whatever ; why not carry the plan onwards and upwards ?

Something like, ' This diploma is awarded to Mr. / Ms. XYZ for their unstinting and continual idleness in the face of much unpleasant pressure to get a job. The recipient of this diploma scored 97 % in the Benefits Claim section. By the very nature of their heroic refusal to do a day's work they have ensured the employment of countless civil servants, computer programmers and co-ordinators who have assisted them over the long years. Well done and a Happy Retirement to you and your family ! '.

[The recipient is then presented with a gold-plated biro and a special one-off benefits cheque ].

:hihi:very good:hihi:

ive still got a giro somewhere, never bothered cashing it....something like 2 pence

There are reports that some people wear ASBOs as a badge of pride, seems some benefit claimants feel the same.

i am very proud to say my partner and i have never ever claimed anything from this government. we have both worked from the day we left school to now and we are both in our 40's. my sons who also have worked since the day they left school also have never had a penny from this government . maybe its me but that is something to be proud of not sitting on my a**e waiting for my money to be put into my bank account .

i am very proud to say my partner and i have never ever claimed anything from this government. we have both worked from the day we left school to now and we are both in our 40's. my sons who also have worked since the day they left school also have never had a penny from this government . maybe its me but that is something to be proud of not sitting on my a**e waiting for my money to be put into my bank account .

Its all about self esteem, but if you had to claim, you have earned the right to do so.

You see, and sorry if I upset anyone.

I had this discussion with somebody who was on long term benefits. I was a stay at home mum for 4 years with a working husband. After parting with my second son I was very quickly climbing the walls, decided I needed a job.

I went out that day, stopped at a chippy the KFC and went to an agency. The same afternoon I was offered four jobs, one of which I took. I think the problem is that people see the service industry and other such work as below them and the way we as a society treat those who cook our food etc doesn't help.

Who wants to take a job where the world labels you as a waste of space thicko? Which is what a lot of people do. There is no shame in working regardless of the status of the job, and if we as the working masses treated those who do the crappy work better they may feel more inclined to do it.

After all, who would clean our streets, empty our bins, clear our tables in the restaurant if they weren't there?

All jobs are valuable and they contribute to society, the sooner we get off our high horse and stop looking down on people the more likely they would be to go to work.

Its all about self esteem, but if you had to claim, you have earned the right to do so.

contrite im sorry to burst your ego but ..............its not about self esteem, ive been proud of myself what ever ive done in life, lifes not just about earning money, its not about working for the system, its not about how many cars and children you can aquire, its about being yourself, living your life, being a decent person..............to me you seem to fail on that last point.

and who gives YOU the right to tell anybody theyve earned the right to claim dole or not earnt the right...........your not GOD, your a nobody like the rest of us