What's your weird little habit?

My main habit is that I have to break words into "groups". When I hear or read a word, I have to break it up. The rules of the group are that consonants and vowels can be next to each other, but consonants cannot be together, and neither can vowels. Therefore the largest group possible is three letters: consonant vowel consonant. However, a group of "vowel consonant vowel" is also not allowed. Groups cannot span spaces either. I then count the number of letters in each group. There are often several possibilities for grouping a word or sentence, but I always try and pick one that is symmetric in terms of its number of letters.

For example, "station" is "s", "tat", "i" and "on", which is 1312. It could also be "s", "ta", "ti" and "on", which is 1222. Neither of those two are symmetric. If it had to be symmetric, the only way to do it would be "s", "t", "a", "t", "i", "o" and "n", which is 1111111.

Some days I find myself doing this all day, but then I can go weeks or even months without doing it all. I've been doing it since I was about 14.

In fact, now I've wrote that down, it sounds nuts. :loopy::)

Originally posted by WintersMist

"One habit I have is when I am walking (although I only try to walk to and from the car) I pick a reference point, it could be a fencepost, gateway or lampost, anything stationary really. I then pick an approaching vehicle and I simply have to beat it to the reference point that I picked no matter what....nuts eh "

OMG i do that too!!

Em x

Originally posted by Daley

My main habit is that I have to break words into "groups". When I hear or read a word, I have to break it up. The rules of the group are that consonants and vowels can be next to each other, but consonants cannot be together, and neither can vowels. Therefore the largest group possible is three letters: consonant vowel consonant. However, a group of "vowel consonant vowel" is also not allowed. Groups cannot span spaces either. I then count the number of letters in each group. There are often several possibilities for grouping a word or sentence, but I always try and pick one that is symmetric in terms of its number of letters.

For example, "station" is "s", "tat", "i" and "on", which is 1312. It could also be "s", "ta", "ti" and "on", which is 1222. Neither of those two are symmetric. If it had to be symmetric, the only way to do it would be "s", "t", "a", "t", "i", "o" and "n", which is 1111111.

Some days I find myself doing this all day, but then I can go weeks or even months without doing it all. I've been doing it since I was about 14.

In fact, now I've wrote that down, it sounds nuts. :loopy::)

Yes, that is quite nuts Daley. But at least you've made the rest of us feel better! ;)

I like to start an action with the left side of my body. For example, paint left nails before right, shave left leg before right, ect.

I also see the days of the week in colours, and have done since I was a little girl.

Monday = red

Tuesday = yellow

Wednesday = bottle green

Thursday = navy blue

Friday = red

Saturday = light blue

Sunday = black

Sometimes if I'm in a car and there's lots of shadows on the road from telegraph poles and stuff, I pretend I'm on a horse and I'm jumping them. I've been doing that since I was little too.

Come to think of it - that's quite sad! :confused:

stoopid stuff really, suck my thumb when im nervous, i look in the fridge, knowing whats in there and closing door again,

Originally posted by SupraSteve

So yeah, nothing odd at all. Must be only me that's completely sane, or if that is the case maybe I am the only insane one? :)

No Suprasteve, they're all totally dagenham.

When i'm walking behind someone i need to change my step to keep the same as theres :loopy:

I always leave one fingernail a little longer than others for those serious things in life like . . . scratching, picking me nose, putting keys on keyrings. :hihi:

I always have to attemt kick ups when I get a football.

I always look at my watch when someone asks the date!?

I hate ordering food in a rush - never know what to have!

I love watching someone parrallel park - and think I could do it better!

I need total silence watching a film at the cinema.

HELP!:help:

Cant set the dishwasher, to wash, unless its absolutely full,with no spaces.Its getting an obssession with me,and Im like thinking"there must be more life than this" :huh:

counting!. I can't stop myself counting. It's so bloody annoying. I count everything,buttons on electrical items,patterns on the wall,bricks, gaps in fan covers etc..etc...

I don't even realise until i get so far and then i have to finish counting out of curiousity.:suspect:

lol!! i used to do that too when i was working in paper company,, filing up ledger paper, stationery papers, and need to count the pages one by one,, then after work wotever i do , i counting,, even at dreams still counting,,, i dint realised do that as a habit,, weird!! lol

i'm always reading from the last page first,, wotever i read,, always the back first,, i dont know why , dont ask me,, it started since i learned how to read until now,,,,,, cant help it,,

'Fraid I must confess that I'm a bit of a handwasher, I suppose it's not too bad when I'm preparing food though.

Guest Pauly

Compulsive habit of straightening things and tidying if I'm stood/sat at a desk. Everything has to be at right angles, and sometimes equi-distant to other objects. Most odd! :suspect:

I also pick my nose usually when driving or sat at the pc, go through stages of biting my nails, letting them grow, biting them off etc, fart alot although only in familiar company ie, family/friends :blush:, tap my feet or drum my fingers when watching tv and crack my knuckles from time to time. Most of those are probably just bad habits rather than weird habits. :D

Yes Lestat, I do look into the tissue after I've blown my nose. Every time I try not to but every time curiousity gets the better of me. :roll: