Personnel careers

Anyone know anything about working in personnel! I know basically what its about, but what qualifications do you need? How do you get into it? etc. Whats the pay like? What do you actually do except sorting out ppls problems and recruiting? Thanks

Your not usually well liked, is the most useful comment I can add ;)

human resources in blue chip companies normally require a degree..

Best advice I can give is to search the careers sites, or visit your local careers library which will be able to give you more advice on what is involved.

In terms of qualifications the most well recognised qual is Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development quals there are various ones (they have a website where you can find out more) some Universities offer Human Resource degrees where you can become CIPD qualified at same time, this is the best way to do it. else you are looking at studying for CIPD qual while working and that can take about 3 yrs on average part time.

Pay varies widely but be prepared for not a lot unless you have experience its one of those to get in it you need experience but then how do you get it, think its down to sheer persistence.

HR as a function isn't all about sorting out probs and recruiting they are two major aspects other ones are learning and development, policy formulation.

Good luck

Thanks clairee any other info I might find useful? I'm going to write to some businesses and see if they could let me do a work shadowing day or something with them! I'm also looking for part time jobs doing like basic personnel admin! found alot on the hR websites like CIPD, Personnel Management, Personnel Today etc, but there all Full time and I only can do part time for now! Know of anywhere in Sheffield recruiting! Thanks, can you email me rather than reply on here or pm me - [email protected] thanks a lot, Emma

I'm bumping this incredibly old thread as I have an interview for an HR assistant and am hoping someone in the know of HR might have some tips! :)

Confidentiality, accuracy, knowledge of statutory policy/procedures, credibility, responsible, overview/appreciation of HR function/department and what business objectives are (so you can see how the HR role fits in and ultimately, what you are supporting administratively). Able to liaise with stakeholders/staff at all levels (external/internal)...what specifically do you want to know?