Softley Family

I am trying to trace any members of the Softley Family, My grandparents were John and Edith and they lived in Creswick Street until 1961.

I remember the Softley family from spending my childhood in Owlerton.

I believe the mother's maiden name was Blackburn.

They had a farm opposite the Crown Inn.

It was situated at the Penistone road end of Brough Road.

They had a dairy there and delivered milk and cream.

Their son Chris lived in a corner house on Bickerton road, I think the number was 49.

I hope this is the family you are looking for, and this info helps you

Happy Days!

Thanks for the information, I don't know if this fanily is connected to mine. You don't give any dates. It would help if you could possibly remember the husbands christian name, so that I can check family records.

The farm disappeared in the 60's and the old man was S Softley at 873 Penistone Road but he will have passed on by now.

As I stated his son Chris lives at 49 Bickerton Road off Leppings Lane Sheffield 6

He is listed as CR Softley Tel. No. 2339919.

Why don't you give him a ring and get the info first hand.

Hope this helps

Happy Days!

They had a farm opposite the Crown Inn.

It was situated at the Penistone road end of Brough Road.

They had a dairy there and delivered milk and cream.

Their son Chris lived in a corner house on Bickerton road, I think the number was 49.

I hope this is the family you are looking for, and this info helps you

Happy Days!

I was born on borough road and the Softleys lived opposite. I seem to remember a big house facing the pub and my Aunt & Uncle moved into part of it as rented tenants.

I wonder if this could be that couple, with an interesting first name for the husband:

GRO Marriages DEC Qtr 1918

SOFTLEY Southern F (spouse: Blackburn)

BLACKBURN Emma (spouse: Softley)

reference: Ecclesall B. 9c 629

Hugh

Dollypeg,

I think a John SOFTLEY married an Edith Eleanor DAY in Sheffield in 1901. Is that too early to be your grandparents?

Hugh

Hi There

The John Softley and Edith Eleanor Day were in fact my grandparents, I don't seem to be able to go any further back than their marriage . I know that my Grandfather had an irish connection but I have drawn a blank after that. I think that there was actually a fairground connection somewhere in my Grandmothers background, and I know she had a sister May who had a candyfloss stall at Mablethorpe in the 1940/50's. If anyone can help with further information I would really love to hear from them.

Do you have their marriage certificate? If so, which church were they married in, and what does it say about their fathers?

Hugh

Just found this thread and thought I might be able to help out a little. The old man you refer to is my Grandfather, his first name was Southern and he passed away in the 60's when i was a small boy, I only just remember him. Chris on Bickerton road is my dad and he is still living there, If theres anything I can help with pleas feel free to ask.

Edited by Chrissoftley

BMD records show Southern Softley, born Tynemouth district 1890, died Sheffield Apr-Jun 1969, listed by Kelly's from c. 1940 as a "milk salesman" of 873 Penistone Road.

BMD records show Southern Softley, born Tynemouth district 1890, died Sheffield Apr-Jun 1969, listed by Kelly's from c. 1940 as a "milk salesman" of 873 Penistone Road.

Born in the Walker district of Newcastle.

Edited by Chrissoftley