Mega Mosque on Barnsley Road

But surely we have become "multicultural" so should'nt we turn a blind eye to those sorts of sad goings on?after all the Church of England has only just recognised female ordination,a world apart I know but still............................

And some Catholic bishops seem to have only just realised that quietly moving paedophile priests to a new parish to ruin some other kid's life isn't such a smart thing to do! There are some things you probably shouldn't turn a blind eye to.

But surely we have become "multicultural" so should'nt we turn a blind eye to those sorts of sad goings on?after all the Church of England has only just recognised female ordination,a world apart I know but still............................

A world apart from not being allowed in the building at all! - 60% of mosques in this country bar access to women*. I'd be interested to know what contorted justification Lestat could magic up on that one.

*Information from Channel Four Dispatches.

Yes, you probably can if you ask nicely, although you'll have to take your shoes off for some strange reason and, if you're a woman, you'll have to walk behind the men because you're worthless.

you really are showing your gross ignorance, gb...

ANY mosque building will require any visitor, even the Queen of England (!) to remove their outdoor shoes upon entering the mosque.

It's the same as entering any household of a Muslim, it is courtesy (do folks remember courtesy?) to remove your shoes

(I believe it's also the "done thing", and a common courtesy in Japanese households too)

Are you sure? ...................please enlighten us!

my rebuttal to GB's comments above^^

Is anyone know if it possible for a non moslem to call in and have a look inside a mosque? I would love to have a look inside one as I do with Churches and Cathedrals. If it's possible take photographs, if it's allowed not for any reason other than I am interested in places of worship.

contact the mosque directly, livewire.

The one at Wolseley Road, (Heeley Bottom) has someone who liaises with the public, to do "tours" to look around, explaining what items are where in a mosque, and what the significance of the item is, and what it is used for, etc. they'll be only too happy to take you around, and give you an explanation, and dispel any myths and untruths.

As for photographs, again, I'm sure they won't object, if you ask permission before snapping away.

you really are showing your gross ignorance, gb...

ANY mosque building will require any visitor, even the Queen of England (!) to remove their outdoor shoes upon entering the mosque.

It's the same as entering any household of a Muslim, it is courtesy (do folks remember courtesy?) to remove your shoes

(I believe it's also the "done thing", and a common courtesy in Japanese households too)

It was neither explicit nor implicit in what I wrote that the doffing of shoes applies only to women. It's a strange thing to require of people because it spreads verrucas.

Why is it that some people on here feel that their ignorance is shared by everyone else? To find showing respect in ANY place of worship as "strang" is very shallow indeed, and in itself....... a bit strange.

60% of mosques in this country bar access to women

Information from Channel Four Dispatches

Channel Four an authority on Islam, more than the muslims themselves :huh: Rubbish!

A world apart from not being allowed in the building at all! - 60% of mosques in this country bar access to women*. I'd be interested to know what contorted justification Lestat could magic up on that one.

*Information from Channel Four Dispatches.

Firstly, you're getting your information from Channel 4.... says it all really.

Secondly, Who said women aren't allowed into mosques or have to walk behind men??? this is the craziest thing I've heard in years. Maybe in the 1800's this was the case, but you'll find ( if you actually had any knowledge of mosques ) that women who worship in mosques have their own side as the only permitation is that the sexes do not worship together.

This is hardly punishment & torture towards women as some posters like to make out.

Plaintalker is correct in saying that the taking off of shoes is just common courtesy, why do people find this to be so offensive?:confused: The true reasoning of why you dont want a mosque has nothing to do with these issues.

. . . I see women hanging around outside mosques because they are not allowed in due to the fact that the men are talking to their moon god, who doesn't see fit to talk to women, apparently.

Think before you type. Have you ever thought that the reason they wait outside is because they have come to collect their children. Its like when parents goto school to collect kids, you don't expect them to stand in the classroom do you?

It was neither explicit nor implicit in what I wrote that the doffing of shoes applies only to women. It's a strange thing to require of people because it spreads verrucas.

What a poor, poor response!:help:

Islam is a multi-cultural and multi-racial religion - not a seperate culture; just like Christianity.

Religion and culture are inextricably linked. As such the teachings of different religions reflect the cultural practices of where they originated from. Islam, like the cultures from which it originated, is alien to the UK. It doesn't fit in with our culture and should be discouraged because multi-culturalism can't work.