Big ada - Does anyone remember her?

hello Mark Do you remember sending me a photo of George hawksworth in drag a long time ago now. George and ada were your grandparents and they were my great aunt and uncle.do you have any photos you could send me.do you know where George was buried. Whats your full name Mark. Is your Sister on Ancestry or Genes Reunited .because somewhere along the line we are linked to the same f amily. My email is petehyatt@hotmail.co.uk if you would like to get in touch.

Wow,mention of the "Cowsheds"how many people knew where these were?,when doing my National Service in the RAF a mate of mine from London came home with me for a 48 and my Father took us round many of the "Watering Holes"unknown to me at that time,and these included the cowsheds,thanks for a happy memory

Love to know what and where were the 'Cowsheds', and also those pubs that were part of the old Corn Exchange the other side of Sheaf Street.

hi am doing my famly tree and i was told by a relative that my great uncle george william hawksworth was thought to be gay.that he was a drag queen and variety artist and that he married ada .if you can post any photos of her that would be great,do you have any of george at all. i have photos of his brothers and sisters but none of him .regards pete.

Hi, we have been looking through some old photos this evening and my Dad lived in the same building as Aunty Ada as he called her and he recalls many things about her and her life, my dad is really interested to get in touch as he has many memories of Ada. Thanks

For a few years in her career,Big Ada used to go in the Barleycorn a lot on Cambridge Street.{I think it's Henry's now ?]

Most of the time she sat on a stool at the bar ,chatting to the Landlady,who,I think ,came from London---this was the early or mid---60's.

All sorts of rumours,stories and legends grew up,concerning Ada.I don't know what was true or false as I never knew her personally,but, not many people in Sheffield at that time would take librties with her !

Can you imagine 'Big Ada' in 'Henry's' now ?

.also delivered to a mr perrozzi on dixon lanea small chap with a very gruff voice ha a son called paul ,

Daughter Michelle, she ended up on Page 3 of The Sun, did a few adverts for Ann Summers

Love to know what and where were the 'Cowsheds', and also those pubs that were part of the old Corn Exchange the other side of Sheaf Street.

I should say the "cowsheds" would be about where the bottom of Dixon Lane is but under where wilko is.The pub in the corn exchange building was the Maunch.Whether that was its proper name I do not know but we always knew it as that.

I should say the "cowsheds" would be about where the bottom of Dixon Lane is but under where wilko is.The pub in the corn exchange building was the Maunch.Whether that was its proper name I do not know but we always knew it as that.

Yes Kidorry, The 'Maunche' (Hotel) was it's proper name and as for 'Cowsheds' which isn't the most salubrious name for a place, even in that area, perhaps that was it ! I don't recall a pub at the bottom Of Dixon Lane between there and Exchange Street which was Castlefolds. Howerever the old Norfolk Market Hall occupied that site until around 1960, I was only 12 then.

Yes Kidorry, The 'Maunche' (Hotel) was it's proper name and as for 'Cowsheds' which isn't the most salubrious name for a place, even in that area, perhaps that was it ! I don't recall a pub at the bottom Of Dixon Lane between there and Exchange Street which was Castlefolds. Howerever the old Norfolk Market Hall occupied that site until around 1960, I was only 12 then.

It was actually under the Norfolk Market Hall opposite the old wholesale fruit and veg market.

It was actually under the Norfolk Market Hall opposite the old wholesale fruit and veg market.

Thank you Kidorry. then the 'Cowsheds' were only a few feet away from the 'Norfolk' pub.

I am almost certain they originally were cowsheds there to keep the cows in before they met their demise.

I am almost certain they originally were cowsheds there to keep the cows in before they met their demise.

By 'demise' I assume you were referring to the cattle. not the Dixon Lane cart vendors!