Big ada - Does anyone remember her?

My Dad actually sings about Big Ada, lol.. If he's singing a song but doesn't know the proper words he'll sing about Big Ada! :hihi:

My Dad actually sings about Big Ada, lol.. If he's singing a song but doesn't know the proper words he'll sing about Big Ada! :hihi:

Big Ada would be about 25 yrs old when l first met her, l was 14, a green apprentice cabinet maker at Cockaynes,l had to go errands during the morn and one of the blokes asked me to go to her and ask for a pound of damaged tomatoes, she said what's his name who sent thee for them, l said Roland, Roland who she said, l don't know his other name said l, well tell him l am on the lookout for him and when l find him i'll break his f.......g neck, when l told him he went white and said why did you tell her my name, bloke on the next bench said it serves thee right, and she will make it in her way to search thee out, he went whiter still. l got my own back a few days later and told him she had grabbed me and forced me to tell her thee name, and where l worked. she said she was coming up there later this afternoon, l can't stand chuffs who take the **** outer kids he had the afternoon off! Cheers Arfer Mo

Yes I remember Big Ada well, she really was a big woman and I know exactly what she weighed---------------------------------------------TOMATOES

Dancing Mickey's and Minnie's were coloured cardboard cutouts of the Disney characters.

They had very thin cotton strings attached and you could dance them on the pavement.

For some reason you could never get them to dance like the seller but they were amusing to watch, very popular with kids.

Happy Days! PopT

They still sell them in the markets in Spain.

I knew Big Ada when i was a kid, my Grandmother had a stall at the bottom end of Dixons lane so to me everyone who worked in the lane was either an Aunt or Uncle

I spoke to Mum about her and she remembered her and then she came up with the funniest comment i think Mum ever said " Tha did know she was a lesbian" Classic Mum....

I suppose i was around 10 or 11 when i used to hang around the lane with my Grandmother.

my dad was her barrow boy

My dad used to work for a taxi company called ruben thomsons or something or other back in the 60s,anyway when ada wanted a taxi she rang and asked if dad was free,this dident go down well with mam but dad always said she was a good tipper..:hihi:

Yes I do , she was my grandmother

She was born in 14th November 1914. and passed away in June 1977.

She was buried in city road.

She was called Ada O'Connor and was married 1945 (mom was 4) and became Ada Hanksworth. Her husband being George William Hawkworth ( variety artist (drag queen) in soldiers in skirts).

Ada's stall was at the top of Dixon lane on the Burton clothes shop, second one ,first one being a flower stall. She sold salad stuff , lettuce , tom's ,cress etc , and on mothers day she sold violet's.

My sister is doing our family tree at the moment so she has all the photos of Ada, I'll get some from her and post some up if anyone's interested .

Mark

hi am doing my famly tree and i was told by a relative that my great uncle george william hawksworth was thought to be gay.that he was a drag queen and variety artist and that he married ada .if you can post any photos of her that would be great,do you have any of george at all. i have photos of his brothers and sisters but none of him .regards pete.

Big Ada was Mick Crich's aunty . . .so he once told me.

Big Ada was Mick Crich's aunty . . .so he once told me.

I knew Mick but never knew that, his family were from derbyshire if my memory serves me right.

I knew Mick but never knew that, his family were from derbyshire if my memory serves me right.

I remember his mum and dad kept the George at Hathersage, did not know of any Big Ada connection though.

"Down on Dixon Lane there are some dirty women

if you want a crack at them you have to pay a shilling

Soldiers half a crown, sailors half a guinea

Big fat men, two pound ten,

Little lads a penny"

Ive loved reading this thread as heard Mum and Dad talking about Ada before..Photo of her would be fab 'face to name'

Thanks