Big ada - Does anyone remember her?

does anyone remember big ada, she used to work on dixon lane market..

Yes

When I was fist married she sold me 2 or 3 lettuce leaves instead of a lettuce, and I was too afraid of her to take it back.

She was an awesome Lady ( I take that back she was no lady)

Hazel

I remember being terrified of Big Ada when I was little. My uncle used to run a pub in Dixon Lane, nicknamed The Cowsheds, and she was one of his regulars. she once gave me a two shilling piece for singing her a song and I burst out crying.

Wow,mention of the "Cowsheds"how many people knew where these were?,when doing my National Service in the RAF a mate of mine from London came home with me for a 48 and my Father took us round many of the "Watering Holes"unknown to me at that time,and these included the cowsheds,thanks for a happy memory

I remember Big Ada she had the top pitch at the very top of Dixon Lane.

I was there early one Saturday morning when some misguided but very fellow set up his barrow on her pitch.

She went ballistic, I have never seen anyone move his stuff so fast

The air was blue with her language and she threatened to throw him, his barrow and his stock down the lane.

She wasn't called Big Ada for nothing as she was immense.

Happy Days!

Does anyone remember little Herbert down Dixon Lane from the same era as big ada,he used to go in the Double Six(Old number12)for a drinkand the landlord used to put the glass on the bar where he couldnt reach it It washumourous watching him try to get hold of his pint

For a few years in her career,Big Ada used to go in the Barleycorn a lot on Cambridge Street.{I think it's Henry's now ?]

Most of the time she sat on a stool at the bar ,chatting to the Landlady,who,I think ,came from London---this was the early or mid---60's.

All sorts of rumours,stories and legends grew up,concerning Ada.I don't know what was true or false as I never knew her personally,but, not many people in Sheffield at that time would take librties with her !

Was it 'Little Herbert', Who used to sell,"get your dancing micky,a micky or a minnie" in the old rag market?

Memories, Memories!

"Get your dancing Micky's, a Micky or a Minnie.

Everyone's a winner!

Those few words bring so many memories come flooding back

Thanks Sweetdexter!

Happy Days!

Hi Vera, here's the thread you wanted.

Brings back memories.

Hazel

Little Herbert used to shout, "Get yer Bouncin' Mickeys, everyone a novelty. Get yer kiddie of me stall lady, 'ees peeing on the raddishes". Many happy memories.

This thread as been on a couple of times before.... "the bouncing Micky theme" was one of my mate's favourate party pieces..as i remember it went like this ..

Get your Bouncing Micky's here

Get your Bouncing Micky's here

Every one on a string

Every one on a spring

If they don't bounce today

they'll bounce tomorrow

If they don't bounce tomorrow

They ain't Bouncing Micky's

He used to stand at the top of the Moor with a tray full of Mickey's...and we Kid's used to mimic him.