Sheffield Photography shops

Im after a new lens as im off on me hols in a few weeks..Can anyone recommend any local camera shops that are priced decently? I still prefer buying over the counter than over the interwebnet when it comes to glass items :o

cheers

Harrisons on London Road, been trading in Sheffield since the dawn of time. Spoke to them on the phone recently, not very helpful.

Jacobs have also got a store in Sheffield, on Rockingham Gate. Spoke to the manager on the phone and he was very helpful.

Dare say Jessops will also have at least one shop in Sheffield, I hope it is better than my local Jessops.

Dare say Jessops will also have at least one shop in Sheffield...

Yep...one next to the no1 chinese buffet in town centre, one on ground floor of Meadowhall.

Jacobs are generally a lot cheaper than Jessops and Harrisons, but still up to 10% more than the cheapest online prices. I've bought lenses from Bristol Cameras and from Park Cameras and would happily recommend either.

What lens have you got in mind?

Correction - when I say "cheapest online" I'm referring to UK based retailers only.

I bought a Canon 580exII from Harrisons the recently and not only was it withing walking distance, they were cheaper than anyone online and no tedious waiting in for delivery either.

Shame I snapped it in half two weeks later!:(

I bought a Canon 580exII from Harrisons the recently and not only was it withing walking distance, they were cheaper than anyone online

I find that really hard to believe. What did they charge you?

Not got the reciept to hand, but nowhere online in UK could do any better [and that's without postage], when I bought it in late June.

I've got lots of good bargains/deals off Harrisons over the years.

In May I got a never used, second hand Ixus 850IS [with spare battery and case] for less than I was able to find in the US. Not that Amazon.com [for example] were even willing to sell me one as I was not a US resident. Got my Canon S70 [my S60 had died] from them too when no one else had any anywhere and I only went in for a card reader. Again second hand and never used it seemed, but way less than half the price other shops were charging before they ran out of S70s. The S70 was the last compact camera Canon made with RAW files, so when it became obvious Canon had given up on RAW, the few remaining S70s were going for over £500.

Thanks for the info. I had stopped looking at Harrisons, but I'll check them out again when I get my next lens :thumbsup:

Keith Richards: The Edge Glamour Models.

I have used Harrisons on London Rd many times and have always found them very helpful. I wouldn't dream of going anywhere else for photography stuff or advice.

keith@theedgemodels.co.uk

Keith :cool: