3 Peaks Challenge?

Afternoon all,

Has anyone on here done the National 3 Peaks Challenge? On the 14/15th of September we're attemping to do Ben Nevis, Scarfell Pike and Snowdon within 24 hour. Can anyone who's walked one or all of these peaks please let me know what a realistic walking time is for each.... I've ready various sites about these but the times seem to vary massively.

Here's our proposed schedule:-

6.00am start base of Ben Nevis

9.15am summit of Ben Nevis

11.00am base of Ben Nevis - Drive to Lake District

4.00pm start base of Scafell Pike

6.45pm summit of Scafell Pike

8.15pm base of Scafell Pike - Drive to Wales

2.00am start base of Snowdon

4.00am summit of Snowdon

5.30am base of Snowdon - Finish/Beer

Just looking back at my Certificate for my third attempt in May 1990 - my times then were.

Commenced challenge at - 08:40 26th May

Completed Ben Nevis at - 12:33 26th May

Completed Scafell Pike at - 21:13 26th May

Completed Snowdon at - 05:55 27th May

A total of 21 hrs 15 Minutes

Not as much detail as you wanted but you can probably extrapolate from these times.

My first/second attempts in 1987/1988 were around 21 hours - but both semi/unofficial so no certificate. I was really fit then had just run the London Marathon in 3hrs 58 mins and was clocking a half marathon in around 1hr 40 minutes. Ah the good old days.

The route you take up Scafell Pike can make quite a big difference – Wasdale head is the shortest, but we always had to go via the Corridor route which is longer.

Quite a coincidence really because I'm seriously considering doing the 3 peaks later this year but taking a more leisurely pace – say a week to 10 days – perhaps taking in Slieve Donard and Snaefell as well.

Anyhow good luck and best wishes - enjoy the challenge!

It all depends on how fit you are, and what the weather is like. I've not done Scafell Pike, but would say the time for Snowdon looks about right. When I did Ben Nevis, it took me almost as long to get down as it did up....but that may just have been my dodgy knees

I've just done my own personal 3 peaks - this was a spur of the moment thing as I was crossing the Corran Ferry to Fort William it was a beautiful bright sunny day - not a cloud in the sky and I've never been to the top of Ben Nevis on a clear day - and I can still say this as the cloud appeared from nowhere as I was about 30minutes from the summit. After doing this I just felt that I should bag the other 2 on the way back to Sheffield. This was done over 3 days, but for a guideline my times were as follows

29 August

Start Ben Nevis 08:51

Summit Ben Nevis 12:20

Finish Ben Nevis 15:32

Total Ben Nevis 6 hours 41 mins (Tourist Path)

Approx 10.25 miles - Total Ascent 1348m (4424ft)

30 August

Start Scafell Pike 09:15

Summit Scafell Pike 12:07

Finish Scafell Pike 15:21

Total Scafell Pike 6 hours 6 minutes (from Wasdale Head)

Approx 7.5 miles - Total Ascent 971m (3187ft)

31 August

Start Snowdon 07:29

Summit Snowdon 09:48

Finish Snowdon 11:45

Total Snowdon 4 hours 16 minutes (Pyg up, Miners back)

Approx 6.5 miles - Total Ascent 1072m (3522ft)

This gives a total "on the mountain" time of 17 hours 3 minutes; the driving time was approx 11 hours 30 mins; so I would be well outside the 24 hour target, but as a single attempt I think these times are quite creditable for an "old timer":)

Just a couple of warnings

Time your journey through Glasgow to avoid the rush hour - I was stuck in traffic for over an hour - I think Celtic were playing an evening match as well.

Be careful when navigating back from the Summit of Scafell Pike - there are cairns all over the place - I had to go back up to the summit (painful) after 15 minutes descending on the wrong track which would have taken me to Eskdale.

Not many photos - the camera stayed in my rucksack and just took pictures to record the times - see here

http://picasaweb.google.com/neotericwalks/3Peaks_2007

What about our own Three Peaks challenge? Such as Kinder, Bleaklow, Black Hill? Oh... but that's just the Marsden-Edale classic walk by another name, perhaps :rolleyes: Do people still do that walk? It's one I always wanted to have a go at, but always found excuses not to do so...

Pobby

Before you go up Ben Nevis, Scarfell and Snowden, may I suggest that you tighted your bra up or next week you'll be saying:-

The pack on my back is aching, The straps seem to cut me like a knife - and I'm now carrying a extra yard of Udder around!!!