What creature is this? (from a description)

Myself and my lad spotted a creature dead on the path on the way home this morning. It was a flying creature, roughly two and a half to three inches long. Big yellow wings almost the length of it's body and slightly wider than it's body. It's body itself was a pale brown colour and at least two cm wide. It wasn't a dragonfly and it was far too big to be a wasp or a bee. Any idea what it was please???

Myself and my lad spotted a creature dead on the path on the way home this morning. It was a flying creature, roughly two and a half to three inches long. Big yellow wings almost the length of it's body and slightly wider than it's body. It's body itself was a pale brown colour and at least two cm wide. It wasn't a dragonfly and it was far too big to be a wasp or a bee. Any idea what it was please???

erm well it could be dead

sorry im no help

2 cms? That's about 1/2 inch? How many wings? Was it some sort of moth? Furry body and antlers, not antlers, those pointy/curly things they have on their heads .... antenna? :rolleyes:

A damselfly? They have their wings along the length of their bodies, and not out at right angles like dragonflies.

No it wasn't furry and it definatly wasn't a moth. The wings were transparent too. Never seen anything like it!

No it wasn't furry and it definatly wasn't a moth. The wings were transparent too. Never seen anything like it!

a picture would be good

2 cms? That's about 1/2 inch? How many wings? Was it some sort of moth? Furry body and antlers, not antlers, those pointy/curly things they have on their heads .... antenna? :rolleyes:

Ha ha, my OH calls them antlers too:hihi:

Sorry not a clue what you saw, I've sent a message to my dad though he knows about these things

A damselfly? They have their wings along the length of their bodies, and not out at right angles like dragonflies.

No just look at some images on Google at it didn't look like those either.

a picture would be good

I only had my sons phone on me and you can't tell from the picture it is crap. I can't upload from the phone either.

A cricket?

... or Mole Cricket?

... or a Water Beetle?

... are you sure about the 2 cm width?

Yep (well as close as I could estimate without a ruler) it was a big fat thing. Like I said never seen anything like it before that is why I asked!

Dad just got back to me and say's it's possibly a variety of clear wing moth, I'd never heard of them either. He says he really cant think what else it could be with that description.