"Roger And Out" at the Frog & Parrot

Was it 17.4% when you got the record? Reckless and Conqueror were fantastic beers.

They were also more consistent than other local brews, Kirby being a case in point.

I/we shall have to ask for a brew then!

Roger and Out was 16.9% when in the Guinness Book of Records.

Re Whitehorses recollections of working at Frog & Parrot. Although I only ever went in a couple of times I am registering what Whitehorses had to say about Roger the landlord and I totally agree. I also worked for him when he was the landlord at the Broomhill Tavern - his name was Roger Nowill and he was an obnoxious prat! At one time wanted us to wear see-through blouses (we all refused), and he thought he was the poor man's Hugh Hefner - he told us we were not allowed to date the customers if ever were ever asked out! Bet you can guess what we young nubile barmaids retorted to that! Having said that, happy days spent in the Tavern.

Gillyflower

If I recall correctly, Roger And Out was actually served by the third of a pint. After you drank your measure, you received a certificate verifying the fact. If you had another, you got another certificate - but the writing was a little blurred. Then if you went for another to complete your full pint, you got another certificate on which the writing was virtually illegible.

During those early years of my drinking career, I was somewhat clueless when it came to the relative strengths of different beers, and just used to order whatever my eyes alighted on. In the Frog And Parrot, Reckless was the one I always asked for, and to discover now that it was hovering around 6% actually explains rather a lot about the way I used to feel afterwards. My recollection is that it was a rather sweet beer, of a kind I would probably turn my nose up at these days.

I don't remember the Roger And Out as being a pleasant drink really, but the place was always full of visiting students giving it a go.

damon right you did get it in a third pint glass and upto 3 certificates each getting more unreadable as the other , i had the great pleasure off spending alot to time in the 80s drinking roger and out and reckless , just trying to full my bedroom wall with certificates was my aim , and i did complete it after 18 months later :loopy:

its a shame theres not more pubs like frog and parrott these days , shame about the wap aswell

damon right you did get it in a third pint glass and upto 3 certificates each getting more unreadable as the other , i had the great pleasure off spending alot to time in the 80s drinking roger and out and reckless , just trying to full my bedroom wall with certificates was my aim , and i did complete it after 18 months later :loopy:

like the ones i posted in post number 12?

http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL600/2588775/15796933/240631553.jpg

http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL600/2588775/15796933/240631441.jpg

Didn't the story go that the Parrot ate the Frog, or was it the other way round?

I used to go in the Frog when it was The Prince of Wales in the 70s I think the landlords name was Fred.Tony (bomber)baines and Pat were good friends of mine for many years.

I used to go in the Prince of Wales in the 60's. Landlady was Nancy. I remember Joe Cocker played one night in the upstairs room with the windows open for the crowds in the street

Landlady's daughter was pretty hot !

AHHHHUUURRRGG! i CAN STILL TASTE IT IN MY MOUTH!

The very first time I went out in the city centre, drinking, 'frog and parrot' was our first port of call, I was 16 and all my mates had raved on about the Roger and out and the certificates to recieved, so naturally, I had to try. Sickly sweet treacle, like concentrated guiness. Horrible for the first time drinker, but still, I managed to drink my 3 glasses and get my certifcates. the last one very blurred writing and the emblem with the frog throwing up and the parrot passed out on the floor!

Sure enough, we ended up clubbin it down at Roxy's and when I staggered home, I remember throwing up and tasting that treacle taste. a memory, that will never leave me!

Back in mid 80s I remember a Radio One news report about a bloke who drank 5 pints of Roger & Out and responded favourably to enquiries about his health. A minute later he fell off his bar stool and broke his leg. Subsequently, Roger & Out was only served in smaller measures.

When I moved to Sheffield from London in 1987 to do a post grad degree at the poly, me and a couple of others made a point of going to the pub on our first night out. To this day, Roger & Out is one of the worst-tasting beers I've ever had. From then on, I stuck to Reckless, but that was still on the strong side at that time. Nice decor, atmos about that pub in those days.

I went to the F & P with a mate of mine while he was studying at Hallam Uni circa 1983. He'd already told me about the R & O and of course, we each drank the 3 lots of third-pints and got the requisite certificates (which I'm sure I still have somewhere). I have to say that, despite only having bare floorboards to sleep on at his house, I got a great night's kip!

Anyway, the reason for my post is that I also bought a bottle of R & O to take out - and I still have it (obviously untouched). Stupid question, but would it be worth anything (apart from a complete closing down of liver functions to anyone drinking it now)? I understand that the pub is still there but the beer has long since stopped being brewed. It has long been something I've wondered about and I decided to Google 'Roger and Out' tonight just to see if it jogged anyone's memory. Are bottles of this still in circulation?

There are bottle collectors, but bottles typically change hands for a couple of pounds. It might have a sentimental value to someone who might pay handsomely for it , but as a "collectible" it probably has little value.